1904 Type III Medal of Honor prototype info request

bulldog06

I am looking for information on the 1904 prototype Medals of Honor shown on page 37 of "The Call of Duty" 2nd edition.

The photo is not attributed. Does anyone know the source of the picture?

I've heard that there is a photo of a soldier being decorated with one of the prototypes in another book, 

MILITARY ORDER CONGRESSIONAL MEDAL OF HONOR LEGION OF THE UNITED STATES

Mulholland, Brevet Major General St. Clair A.

This book is rare and from 1905. If someone has a copy and could take a look, I would appreciate it. 

I've looked through several of my books and tried Google without finding much except for a listing of one with a Canadian dealer. I'd be grateful for any other information on the prototypes, who made them, where are they, etc.

Thank you,

Mike

I have the Mulholland book and looked through quite a few pages last night, but didn’t see anyone being decorated with a prototype. The photos are not close up though and mostly posed photos of the recipients. It’s almost 700 pages, so didn’t look at every page.

• 2 years later...

image.png.86805d6b1e3f99673871278a45c354c2.png this is the medal you are trying to get a picture of?

image.png.315589ac052aaa5aa2860f8bd79e3f9a.pngThis is the only know of the unpierced 1904 prototyped medal of honor  as worn on Colonel Nobel D. Preston as worn by the Medal of honor Legion

Chris,

yes, this is the picture. Many thanks.

Would like to know if that medal was actually issued or being photographed for publicity? Also how many were made and where are they now.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Bulldog you are welcome. The posr in #4 was a pic of the actual medal auctioned off from emedals. I am sure if you contact emedals they maybe able to help you. I think is sold for about $3500.00.The medal as you know was never accepted or approved. My understanding the medal of Honor legion had a step in thw 1904 approval and this was one of the prototypes that was summitted in 1904. Colonel preston wore it a few times and this was a picture from that time and the only know picture of it being worn.So I know the medal was never issued and the photo was purely coincidental. The opions that came out of of the was the 1904 medal. 

WHat is your interest in this.

4starchris 281-793-7416 

Thanks again for the information.

I am interested in medal variations, prototypes, and contracts differences. A photo of a prototype is unusual. One being worn by a recipient is rare. 

Since it was auctioned, the medal is probably in a museum or collector hands somewhere.

Mike