"US NAT" on dog tag meaning

Boy Howdy

I found this grouping for sale and was wondering why one tag is marked "US NAT"?

Thank you.

s-l1600.jpg

Why would that be on a soldiers dog tag?

I forgot to post this second set of pictures.

Was that a common practice?

I'm guessing from the lighter he was in Europe?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Agree.. I recently found a WW2 insignia group and the man was a later in the Air FOrce post war and returned to France. There was a dog tag with his wifes name on it as a dependent

Here's an obit with some info . . . perhaps it was to due with the service in the Red cross?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/59643514/robert-hamilton-lucey

ROBERT HAMILTON LUCEY
FAIRHOPE - Robert Hamilton Lucey, 80, died Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2000, at Mercy Medical Hospice. He was a native of Springfield, Ill., and a resident of Fairhope. Lucey served in the U.S. Army for eight years, achieving the rank of captain. He retired from the American National Red Cross after 45 years of service. Lucey was a Life Loyal member of the Sigma Chi, Alpha Iota chapter at Illinois Wesleyan University. He was a life member and Past Master Solomon Lodge No. 822 of American-Canadian Lodge in Germany, and Burlingame Lodge No. 400 in California.
He was also a member of Sojourners Masonic Breakfast Club of Fairhope since 1994. He also served as the AARP 55 Alive driver's education instructor and was a member of the San Mateo and Northern California Men's Golf Association and Quail Creek Senior Men's Golf Association.
He is survived by his wife, Joanne Wetzel Lucey of Fairhope, a sister-in-law, Vivian E. Lucey of Fairhope; two nephews and two great nieces.
A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m. Sunday in the chapel at Wolfe Funeral Home.
The family suggests that memorials be made to the American Diabetes Association, 5514 N. Davis Hwy #C111, Pensacola, FL 32503, Mercy Medical Hospice or to a favorite charity. Arrangements are by Wolfe Funeral Home.
From the Mobile Register, Mobile, Alabama Thursday, 9/28/2000
From the Mobile Register, Mobile, Alabama Friday, 9/29/2000

• 1 year later...

I found these platelets. I did some research but I can't understand what this person was about and what period it is. Ursula Leona st.clair, before getting married Ursula Leona Pache from Germany. Looking up Nara and ancestry. I found it at a flea market. I am writing to you from Italy

IMG_20220509_081324.jpg

Ancestry Person - Print.pdf ursula leona pache.pdf NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Application (SS-5) Files, 1936 - 2007 (Last Names S through T).pdf

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Boy Howdy said:

Maybe a dependents tag. 

Married a US soldier.

Still living in Germany.

My WAG.

I agree.  U.S NAT = U. S. National.  She probably became a US citizen after she married Wallace Crawford St CLair.  From what I can tell, from the records he may have been a CW3 in the Army and likely was stationed in West Germany or West Berlin during the occupation or Cold War.  The purpose of the tag was to ensure she was treated as an American and not a German by the Soviets in case of war or if traveling behind the Iron Curtain.

I'm not sure if her birth city ("Neisse Federal Republic of Germany") listed in one of the documents is correct.  It could be the former German town of Neisse which is now in Poland (now called Nysa).  If that is the case she may have been a refugee making her identification as an American rather than a German even more important.

Dennis