USAF M16 Slings?

ffuries

Finally getting around to doing an USAF M16 (604) build to represent the rifle I used at the beginning of my career. Found a slick side upper (No forward assist or shell deflector), pencil barrel, 3 prong flash hider, Type D buttstock, triangular handguards, small pad ejector port cover,, etc. I have one done up like a M16A2 for later in my career.

The CATM rifles never had slings, and the only time I remember having a sling on a rifle I carried, was when I was pulling guard duty on our Aircrew Weapons Pallet. To be honest I can't remember what style slings they were.

I know later on the AF used the black silent slings, but what were we using in the 80s-90s on our M16s (604s)?

Older/previous post where yall answered a lot of my USAF weapons questions.

Here's a picture of the 604 sans barrel with my A2. Yes it has an A2 buttstock and pistol grip on it, waiting for the Type D buttstock to arrive, the A1 PG is here I just haven't installed it or the rear sight yet. Plus a picture of part of the AR puzzle, as the rest of the correct parts filter in.

20210617_210631.jpg

20210617_143417.jpg

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

• 7 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 2:36 AM, ffuries said:

Finally getting around to doing an USAF M16 (604) build to represent the rifle I used at the beginning of my career. Found a slick side upper (No forward assist or shell deflector), pencil barrel, 3 prong flash hider, Type D buttstock, triangular handguards, small pad ejector port cover,, etc. I have one done up like a M16A2 for later in my career.

The CATM rifles never had slings, and the only time I remember having a sling on a rifle I carried, was when I was pulling guard duty on our Aircrew Weapons Pallet. To be honest I can't remember what style slings they were.

I know later on the AF used the black silent slings, but what were we using in the 80s-90s on our M16s (604s)?

Older/previous post where yall answered a lot of my USAF weapons questions.

Here's a picture of the 604 sans barrel with my A2. Yes it has an A2 buttstock and pistol grip on it, waiting for the Type D buttstock to arrive, the A1 PG is here I just haven't installed it or the rear sight yet. Plus a picture of part of the AR puzzle, as the rest of the correct parts filter in.

20210617_210631.jpg

20210617_143417.jpg

Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Hey Mike, did you ever get an answer on this? I’m AD Air Force too. Looks like our careers overlaped a couple of years. It was an A2 that I carried during deeployments but I’m building an A1 right now for fun.

This is what I’ve come up with from my own build research. If you’re going for an 80’s A1, I’d say to go with the normal, black silent sling as well. If it’s a legit early A1 build, they had the same OD slings as the M14s. A loop on one end and a metal hook on the other.

Hope this helps and please post some pics of the finished A1. Very interested in the lower that you went with. 

Ryan

4 hours ago, Ryan Reese said:

Hey Mike, did you ever get an answer on this? I’m AD Air Force too. Looks like our careers overlaped a couple of years. It was an A2 that I carried during deeployments but I’m building an A1 right now for fun.

This is what I’ve come up with from my own build research. If you’re going for an 80’s A1, I’d say to go with the normal, black silent sling as well. If it’s a legit early A1 build, they had the same OD slings as the M14s. A loop on one end and a metal hook on the other.

Hope this helps and please post some pics of the finished A1. Very interested in the lower that you went with. 

Ryan

Pictures as requested.....

My 604 build has a slick side upper, pencil barrel, A1 pistol grip and a Type D buttstock, M1 style sling, triangular handguards, 3 prong flash hider, and small pad ejection point cover. Looks pretty damn close to the mutts we carried when I first came in.

It was a fun build, fun learning all about the USAF M16 604, but a pain in the butt searching for the parts. All and all I have less tied up in than if I could have found one already built up.

20211012_214923.jpg

20211013_134449.jpg

4 hours ago, Ryan Reese said:

Ryan

Forgot to answer your question in my post above. I went with a complete PSA lower, should have ordered one without the buttstock, but oh well lessons learned. 

Went with this one.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-complete-rifle-lower-receiver-a2.html

The cheaper one wasn't in-stock.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa15-complete-classic-ept-a2-lower-receiver.html

Now there is an outfit that makes stripped M16 marked lowers and they run in the $500.00 plus range. If you're wanting to make it look more authentic.

https://intlmilco.com/sterile-rollmarked-604/

6 hours ago, ffuries said:

Pictures as requested.....

My 604 build has a slick side upper, pencil barrel, A1 pistol grip and a Type D buttstock, M1 style sling, triangular handguards, 3 prong flash hider, and small pad ejection point cover. Looks pretty damn close to the mutts we carried when I first came in.

It was a fun build, fun learning all about the USAF M16 604, but a pain in the butt searching for the parts. All and all I have less tied up in than if I could have found one already built up.

20211012_214923.jpg

20211013_134449.jpg

Awesome! They look great. I just pulled the trigger on a Colt M16A1 parts kit from Numrich so we’ll see how it goes. 

13 hours ago, Ryan Reese said:

Awesome! They look great. I just pulled the trigger on a Colt M16A1 parts kit from Numrich so we’ll see how it goes. 

Look forward to seeing how yours comes out!