Coast Guard Rate resources and references

PatLaabs

After finding a seemingly random USCG IV1 at my favorite surplus store I decided I'd start collecting USCG Rates since it's the closest thing to Navy Rates. 

I have John Stacey's book and it covers some USCG stuff but I would like a little bit more in-depth knowledge similar to his book. I know that alot of their rates were the same as ours but things have changed alot over the years, especially since their uniforms changed at some point too. Is there any way to differentiate between ISN and USCG rates prior to the USCG's uniform change?

Which speaking of different uniform stuff, the PA1, IV1, EM1, and AD1 all feel different from the other modern rates. Not as rough feeling. 

If anyone has any good sources I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd also love to see any rates you guys have as well.

20210628_205853.jpg

20210628_210040.jpg

David Minton

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to differentiate a USN rate patch from a USCG patch from the period when they shared the same uniforms? I don’t think you can, because there wasn’t a difference unless it was a specialty mark not shared between the two service. For example there won’t be a difference between a blue Machinist’s Mate 1c from WWII because the only difference between the uniforms would be the presence or absence of the shield mark by the cuff. Unless I’m not understanding the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, David Minton said:

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you asking how to differentiate a USN rate patch from a USCG patch from the period when they shared the same uniforms? I don’t think you can, because there wasn’t a difference unless it was a specialty mark not shared between the two service. For example there won’t be a difference between a blue Machinist’s Mate 1c from WWII because the only difference between the uniforms would be the presence or absence of the shield mark by the cuff. Unless I’m not understanding the question.

Sorry if the question/questions were confusing. Trying to type while doing other tasks probably wasn't the best decision. 

You answered my question about the difference between navy and CG rates that shared the same specialty mark, which I guess I already knew but I wanted to be absolutely sure. 

My main question though is if there are any resources on USCG Rates similar to John Stacey's book that I could read. I haven't been able to find anything that seemed as in-depth so far. 

David Minton

It depends on what sort of reference you are looking for. I think of John Stacey’s book as primarily a history of specialty marks. He does cover the evolution of the rating badges, but doesn’t tie to the two together well enough to be a good patch collector reference by itself. I’m looking for something better, but have been unsuccessful, and started working in my own spreadsheets.

If you are looking to learn more about the ratings (i.e. jobs performed) there are references available, but the ones I have come across are period specific. For example I ha e a couple of recruiting books published by the Navy during WWII that describe the duties of nearly every rating.

8 hours ago, David Minton said:

It depends on what sort of reference you are looking for. I think of John Stacey’s book as primarily a history of specialty marks. He does cover the evolution of the rating badges, but doesn’t tie to the two together well enough to be a good patch collector reference by itself. I’m looking for something better, but have been unsuccessful, and started working in my own spreadsheets.

If you are looking to learn more about the ratings (i.e. jobs performed) there are references available, but the ones I have come across are period specific. For example I ha e a couple of recruiting books published by the Navy during WWII that describe the duties of nearly every rating.

Hmmm, well alright then. I'll just have to use what I got/come across. John Stacey's book definitely did help me with certain things when it came to my collection but I did and do still need additional resources and have come up with 2 different Microsoft excel spreadsheets myself for my collection. As always I appreciate your input 🙂