Republic of Vietnam Service Medal

Kansas Raider

Kansas Raider

Has there been anything written about variations in the Republic of Vietnam Service Medal? Thanks in advance, Steve

Kansas Raider

Did all theater made Republic of Vietnam Service Medals have a plain back and a planchet thickness of about a dime? Thanks Steve

Steve,

You will find that there are many variations to the theater made medals from Vietnam. Some are VERY thin and have nothing on the back side of the pendant. Some will have a back side similar to a US made example. Since these medals weren't issued but rather purchased, you will see variation in the quality of the strikes. The funny thing for me is that the ribbons all seem to be the same on these Nam made pieces. They are crude and they fade like no other ribbon that I have ever seen.

Allan

There are also Japanese manufactured versions that can be mistakenly identified as Vietnam made

Bill

Kansas Raider

USMCR79, would you have a picture showing the Japanese made Republic of Vietnam Service Medal? Thanks everybody for the info. Steve

Kansas Raider

Here are some scans of ones I have. I think the 3 Republic of Vietnam medals are theater made and the 1 National Defense medal. What do you guys think? Thanks Steve

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

v4.jpg

v5.jpg

Kansas Raider

The second image that shows the suspension are small knobs. The 3rd image that shows the suspension is a flat piece of metal folded over and soldered.

Kansas Raider

Hi, who were the makers of the Republic of Vietnam Service medal? Thanks in advance, Steve

I believe that your three place medal bar is done with Japanese made medals. The others all appear to be Vietnam made.

Allan