USN M3 shoulder holster 1911, Smith & Wesson revolver, who got what and why?

tthen

Evening everyone, just enjoying 100 degree weather here in the Northwest which is not common but here we are. I just picked up a really nice USN marked Boyt M3 shoulder holster for a 1911. I got to thinking I've seen a-lot of Navy pilots with both sidearms in shoulder holsters but mostly the revolvers. So does anyone know who got what and for what reason? I suspect pilots were not the only ones to be issued shoulder holsters, but I'm not sure. Take care and stay cool!

Tom

I believe, as an observation, the USN M3 shoulder holsters are the hardest to find out of the variations. USMC second in line. The Navy Department (to include USMC) procured these in very limited quantities. The USMC version can be directly attributed to issuance for Amphibious Forces. I would place the USN type in a similar category as Landing or Shore Parties, perhaps even security details. I have only uncovered records of the procurement from the Bureau of Ordnance in 1944, hence why your holster is not dated. Has anyone seen a USN marked M3 dated 1943?

You'll find that in production of the M3 in 1944 the companies no longer stamped a manufacture date, for the most part. Why? I'm not sure. According to the sources I've uncovered the USN contract holsters were for a total of under 10,000, perhaps even much lower to 5,000 placing them in "Very Rare" bracket. The limited procurement suggests a limited requirement and was orientated towards something select. 

Interestingly, you see very little images of Naval aviators wearing M3 shoulder holsters. Actually I cannot even think of any that I've seen off the top of my head. USMC aviators and aircrew are a different story, those images are plentiful. 

Dustin, thank you for the great information. Wow a rare holster indeed. Sorry my information was incomplete, it is dated 1944.

That is why I said "for the most part" since there are a few exceptions, but most M3's are not dated for the years 1944 or 1945.

Charlie Flick

Great looking Navy M3, and better than the one in my collection.  Nice find.

Charlie

The vast majority of Naval aviators were issued S&W .38 Special Victory revolvers. They would have used either the shoulder or hip holster made specifically for the Victory. The Smith and Wesson Historian, Roy Jinks, told me that nearly all Victory production went to the Navy. 

BOYT had factories located in DesMoines and Iowa Falls Iowa.

Today they are in Osceola Iowa. Spoke with a VP there once whp is also the self appointed historian. I was intrested in production records and marking used by BPYT on the Camvas and Leather items they produced. He said there was a fire shortly after the war and all the records were lost