two unknown navy rates

all-bull

Hello,

I don't have a clue about Navy rates/ranks. Can anyone help me ID these two patches? The heart design on the one has been handsewn into the patch....what does it mean? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

post-2063-1233865913.jpg

I have a patch exactly like yours with the apprentice mark on the bottom and large "S" on top except mine is gold on blue. I posted it here on the Forum to see if someone could identify it, but I've had no luck yet.

-fritz

Hello,

I don't have a clue about Navy rates/ranks. Can anyone help me ID these two patches? The heart design on the one has been handsewn into the patch....what does it mean? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I think earlier that the "S" patch was thought to be a Swa Scout thing as it does not appear in any Navy publication any one can find. The other is just an ADAN (Aviation Machinests Mate Airman) patch for whites from the late fourties to the early '70s that some one has had the little devit tailed heart added to. I remember guys doing thing like this and sending them to girl friends and such. This one is most likely from the '60s.

Steve Hesson

It is an old sea dog code for Sea scout {which it is not} otherwise known as fat finger sindrome (sorry steve). Did these come from Ebay? These S marks show up with navy groups often.

John

It is an old sea dog code for Sea scout {which it is not} otherwise known as fat finger sindrome (sorry steve). Did these come from Ebay? These S marks show up with navy groups often.

John

Hate when that happens pinch.gif I have looked for that "S" thing and just can't find it any where. Got a guess?

Steve Hesson

I agree with Steve's assessment on the Airman Group Rate Mark (Aviation Machinist's Mate striker). I've seen this one somewhere before.

BTW, WAVES were authorized the wearing of Non-rated Marks/Group Rate Marks in 1944, but male sailors didn't start wearing them until 1948.

I've never seen the apprentice knot and "S" before.

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw the "S" and square knot identified as for USN Class A school at Sampson, NY naval training station (1942-46).

This is a plausible identification.

Any thoughts?

-dan

I just saw the "S" and square knot identified as for USN Class A school at Sampson, NY naval training station (1942-46).

This is a plausible identification.

Any thoughts?

-dan

Dan, That makes sense, I know I had seen it somewhere, but just could not find a ref. There were lost of "situational" local use things like that.

Steve Hesson

I emailed the person selling the "S" and square knot patch on ebay and asked if a reference could be provided for the identification. The reference identifying the patch is; the Oct-Dec 2000 issue of the ASMIC Trading Post, pg 35, under "Identified Insignia". Hope that is helpful.

-fritz

That is not exactly the definitive reference, that was one guy saying that is what it is with nothing to back it up, not even another person saying the same thing. For those of you not familiar with the ASMIC Trading Post this ID was not part of a well researched article it was in the Can You Identify section and someone just sent in that answer. I am not saying the answer is wrong but I would like to see a picture or something in a Navy Regulation before this ID is fully accepted.

Anyone have any Sampson, NY Naval Training Station class photos? I've seen some Sampson boot camp photos, but not any "A" school photos...

-dan

Anyone have any Sampson, NY Naval Training Station class photos? I've seen some Sampson boot camp photos, but not any "A" school photos...

-dan

I have two photo's from Sampson, 1944 and early 1945 and no luck. It's hard to see because the way they are standing.

Jason

Thanks all-bull for linking me to this.

I found a website for Sampson Naval Training Station veterans: http://www.rpadden.com/sampson.htm. It has lots of pictures, class pictures as well. BUT I have not seen the S rating with the square knot that all-bull or I have posted. I have not looked at all the pictures, but so far I haven't seen anything. Maybe someone else will...

Thanks all-bull for linking me to this.

I found a website for Sampson Naval Training Station veterans: http://www.rpadden.com/sampson.htm. It has lots of pictures, class pictures as well. BUT I have not seen the S rating with the square knot that all-bull or I have posted. I have not looked at all the pictures, but so far I haven't seen anything. Maybe someone else will...

I've emailed the Sampson NTS/NTC museum director and attached two photos asking for any help in identifying this patch.

Will update this thread when I hear something.

-dan

I've emailed the Sampson NTS/NTC museum director and attached two photos asking for any help in identifying this patch.

Will update this thread when I hear something.

-dan

Well...my email to the Sampson NTS/NTC museum bounced back. A more detailed web search shows that the old Sampson NTS museum/brig was turned into an Air Force station, since Sampson was also an Air Force training center during the Korean war period.

I've emailed the Sampson AFB museum director to see if he has any old Sampson NTS contacts, but I don't expect to get very far with this line of inquiry.

-dan

Last minute update: The Sampson AFB museum email bounced back also.

-dan

I just want to say that I really appreciate everyone's effort trying to track this patch down(especially Dan) since I also have one and am interested in identifying it. I plan on inquiring at the OVMS "Show of Shows" in a couple of weeks to see if anyone can shed some light on this patch. You never know.

-fritz

Dan,

I think I was on that site or a similar site and did not find anything. I check a sea scout site and I think we can rule out sea scouts because they show all of thier insignia from 1916-present and this insignia was not on there. Here's the link:

http://www.seascout.org/about/history/insignia.html

Jason

Try this guy, by e-mail. He's a historian of such things involving Navy and USCG, and very reliable... be sure to say that Bluehawk sent you.

[email protected]

Okay, I shipped off an email with photo and background to Coastie...referencing bluehawk...

Here's the background I sent:

Hi Coastie,

I got your email address from "bluehawk" on the U.S. Militaria Forum.

I'm trying to run down an ID on a variation of a distinguishing mark (local command type). It is purported to be from the Sampson (NY) NTS/NTC Class "A" school commands. Sampson was an NTS from 1942-44, then was reclassified an NTC in 1945. It ceased to be a navy base after 1945, but was reopened as an Air Force base during the Korean war.

Attached is a photo of two variations of the local command distinguishing mark (if it was really used for this purpose). What makes me give this tentative ID some credence is the fact that one of the variations is cut in the style of the short tested "split rate" specialty mark rating badge.

Anyhow, I was wondering if you had any knowledge or thoughts on this USN patch?

Regards,

Daniel (Dan) Smith, SCPO, USNR(ret)

Chattanooga

Has anyone attempted to contact John Stacey to see if he has any knowledge on this insignia?

I think I mentioned this to John on a phone call recently.

Not 100% sure...

-dan

I've seen these show up on ebay for years, many times in groupings of navy insignia. I wonder if it has a Naval Militia connection . We already know that the typical Navy Apprentice/Ex-Apprentice marks are the Figure 8 knot. Later the female recruits wore the Square knot but I think these ones with the S are earlier. Or on the other hand is this mark like the Choir mark ?????

I really want to see one in a photo, there are simply too many in the market to not be in a photo somewhere!

IMHO/ John JKLarson HTC USNR (Ret)