Mi 24 Hind

AZPhil

Hello All,

We have an annual Weapons and Training Instruction course held here at MCAS Yuma.

At times we get some unique aircraft's that come to participate.

Here is one of the special ones that shows up.

This is a Romanian version of the Mi-24 Hind.

I hope to get some better photo's with out the sun screen on.

Semper Fi

Phil 

1024427641_Hind11.jpg.d8d2feffcc7b7586c7c2fd8da8bfd046.jpg918431281_Hind22.jpg.8d374b82b2602de5416c63763a102a56.jpg 

I think that's the one that was actually former Bulgarian Peoples Air Force.   Def cool to see that around.

She is hiding somewhere!!!

When I find her, I'll get a close up of the emblem on the side and see who she belongs to.

Semper Fi

Phil

Based on the markings it should be the one owned by the Cold War Air Museum in Lancaster, TX.   Was said to come from Bulgarian and was in service with them from 1981-2005 or so.  I Think they bought a few of the airframes and made 1 airworthy.  They do some contract work for the DoD with it I believe.

Mohawk I think you are correct about it being Bulgarian.

YEARS Ago,  I was giving a Airfield tour to a friend who came to visit and I saw 2 Hind crew members doing a post flight check, so I went over to chat with the guy's about it.

They did say they were out of Texas. They mentioned they had bought 3. 2 were for flying and the other was the parts pig. 

I was thinking they said Bulgarian, But for some reason ROMANIAN was stuck in my head.

Semper Fi

Phil 

• 4 months later...
On 6/29/2021 at 10:35 AM, AZPhil said:

Mohawk I think you are correct about it being Bulgarian.

YEARS Ago,  I was giving a Airfield tour to a friend who came to visit and I saw 2 Hind crew members doing a post flight check, so I went over to chat with the guy's about it.

They did say they were out of Texas. They mentioned they had bought 3. 2 were for flying and the other was the parts pig. 

I was thinking they said Bulgarian, But for some reason ROMANIAN was stuck in my head.

Semper Fi

Phil 

Hi Phil -

I saw one of those Texas based Hinds almost 10 years ago at an airshow in Temple, TX.  I believe they were part of the now closed Cold War Air Museum located in Dallas...  Here are some photos I took way back when, hope you enjoy them.

Let me say that the Hind is an incredibly menacing looking machine, I can't imagine being on the receiving end of an attack by one (or more)!

-Derek 

0xbwVQN.jpg

MqYQ4K4.jpg

Fj5qNU9.jpg

iSuszqd.jpg

cBFVV4G.jpg

mSU8RsH.jpg

The state department and a few “ alphabets” agencies have several HIPs they use for training our people on flying and maintenance at the old Naval Air field in Green Cove Springs, Fl. 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:56 AM, viking73 said:

Hi Phil -

I saw one of those Texas based Hinds almost 10 years ago at an airshow in Temple, TX.  I believe they were part of the now closed Cold War Air Museum located in Dallas...  Here are some photos I took way back when, hope you enjoy them.

Let me say that the Hind is an incredibly menacing looking machine, I can't imagine being on the receiving end of an attack by one (or more)!

-Derek 

0xbwVQN.jpg

MqYQ4K4.jpg

Fj5qNU9.jpg

iSuszqd.jpg

cBFVV4G.jpg

mSU8RsH.jpg

Derek, When did it close and why?