Question on Pre-WW2 Coxswain rate

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

Greetings and thanks in advance. I am cleaning out my drawers of patches and found these two. I know that they are pre-WW2. In order to list it properly, is there a better date range to call it as? 

IMG_9375.JPG

IMG_9376.JPG

14 hours ago, ocsfollowme said:

Greetings and thanks in advance. I am cleaning out my drawers of patches and found these two. I know that they are pre-WW2. In order to list it properly, is there a better date range to call it as? 

IMG_9375.JPG

IMG_9376.JPG

According to John A. Stacey, in his book on Naval insignia, this pattern was in use from 1894-1905. The 3rd Class is the only one referred to as “Coxswain” , (kept that title until 1948, when it was changed to BM3, Boatswains Mate Third Class). The 2 chevron is Boatswains Mate Second Class,  (written, until 1948, as BM2c ).  

ocsfollowme

As always, thank you for your time sigsaye! I saw the category online but I did not believe that they dated that far back! Happy Sunday. 

David Minton
According to John A. Stacey, in his book on Naval insignia, this pattern was in use from 1894-1905. The 3rd Class is the only one referred to as “Coxswain” , (kept that title until 1948, when it was changed to BM3, Boatswains Mate Third Class). The 2 chevron is Boatswains Mate Second Class,  (written, until 1948, as BM2c ).  

I would have identified these as 1905 pattern, so I’m curious as to what you are seeing that would distinguish them as 1894. Please take this as a serious question and not sarcasm.

This is what I would have thought of as 1894, though it is white rather than blue.

9080b9e34c356ca57a2084aa8cc38b72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, David Minton said:

I would have identified these as 1905 pattern, so I’m curious as to what you are seeing that would distinguish them as 1894. Please take this as a serious question and not sarcasm.

This is what I would have thought of as 1894, though it is white rather than blue.

9080b9e34c356ca57a2084aa8cc38b72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The book had them listed as 1894-1905. 

I would say pre 1905 the chevrons are sewn like the 1880's rate and similar material for chevrons. The eagle stance is different as well, the feet are spread farther apart. But the big difference to me is the chevrons and how they are sewn on. I believe the above example is the one i own and i have a couple others but are moth up pretty good.

Jason