Help ID - Chinese Civil War soldier

This is a direct relstive of  a friend, and her Dad's father was Chinese. This soldier is Chinese, and it has come down through the family that since he was Chinese, he was put in an American Indian regiment. 

Her question is what is the large patch on his uniform? 

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

image_2021_06_27T00_17_36_276Z.png

USCapturephotos

I couldn’t remember the regiment but just looked it up and the 10th Legion was also the 56th New York Infantry Regiment. 
Paul

Thanks! That's amazing! When you get back, I'd love to hear anything you can find! 

His name is Mr. Ying . . .he was William Moy Sr.'s mother's father. 

One other question . . . anyone able to tell rank or what he was? 

cylekostello

Holy cow, and I thought USCT photos were rare! That's an absolutely one of a kind photo.  A cursory look on Civil War data & the regimental history doesn't show a record of a Mr. Ying or Moy in the 56th. Does your friend have any idea if he adopted an anglicized pseudonym? That was pretty common for soldiers from non-anglo countries (esp. with the germans). So far as rank he looks like a private in that photo, no sign of stripes on the sleeve. As a non-white soldier he probably (emphasis on probably, always exceptions!) wouldn't make anything higher than private.  

Here's an scan of the regimental history(https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_Condensed_History_of_the_56th_Regiment/mqX4q0hVmNwC?hl=en&gbpv=0). There's a roster at the end that might be useful. If you can figure out what company he was in, or date of enlistment that would narrow things down quite a bit. 

He very well may have used an Anglicized name. I mean, could have done "Young" or something, but could have been completely different! The family would use the first name of William forever, probably at least this guy's son, so who knows for sure. I'll see if they know anymore. The picture came from their Uncle who passed away recently, so I don't know what they know about it! 

Looking online, it is all over that there are 58 Chinese who served in the Civil War. Is there a way to find out the list of those 58, since they know how many?

USCapturephotos

That might be tough. I do know that Military Images magazine did an article about one specific Chinese American Civil War soldier roughly 15 or 20 years ago. I have a copy and can dig it out when I get home as I don't remember his name or unit.

Paul

cylekostello
8 hours ago, stratasfan said:

He very well may have used an Anglicized name. I mean, could have done "Young" or something, but could have been completely different! The family would use the first name of William forever, probably at least this guy's son, so who knows for sure. I'll see if they know anymore. The picture came from their Uncle who passed away recently, so I don't know what they know about it! 

Looking online, it is all over that there are 58 Chinese who served in the Civil War. Is there a way to find out the list of those 58, since they know how many?

Interestingly there is a William Young in Co. F of the 56th, I've copied his info below. 

Residence was not listed; 23 years old. Enlisted on 8/16/1861 at Liberty, NY as a Musician. On 8/29/1861 he mustered into "F" Co. NY 56th Infantry He was discharged for disability on 9/21/1862 at Yorktown, VA

On 6/26/2021 at 6:13 PM, stratasfan said:

This is a direct relstive of  a friend, and her Dad's father was Chinese. This soldier is Chinese, and it has come down through the family that since he was Chinese, he was put in an American Indian regiment. 

Her question is what is the large patch on his uniform? 

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

image_2021_06_27T00_17_36_276Z.png

You might want to start a thread on this over at  https://civilwartalk.com/

One thing that would help greatly is if you knew your family tree (His name is Mr. Ying . . .he was William Moy Sr.'s mother's father. )  By that, I mean as many grandparents and great-grandparents names with DoB and DoD.

Here's the official condensed history of the X Legion/ 56th NY Infantry

https://museum.dmna.ny.gov/unit-history/infantry-1/56th-infantry-regiment

Note that there are 11 other soldiers last name YOUNG on the Regimental roster, in addition to William.

https://museum.dmna.ny.gov/application/files/1315/5068/1364/56th_Infantry_CW_Roster.pdf

But how about this guy, from the roster above -

MAYBE , WILLIAM F.—Age , 24 years. Enlisted at Liberty, to serve three years, and mustered in as private, Co. F , October 15, 1861; re-enlisted as a veteran, February 20, 1864; promoted corporal, January 1, 1865; returned to ranks, March 1, 1865; mustered out with company, October 17, 1865, at Charleston, S. O , as Maybie.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help so far! This is Mr. Ying's son-in-law:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/220568328/moy-sing

So far, no success in more as far as a name, etc. And as I said, the Uncle who had this picture passed away recently, and our friends' Dad doesn't know anymore. Hoping to talk to them again this week, so I'll see if they can come up with any other info! :) 

Jeffrey Magut

Great picture.

I see that Moy Sing was married to Elizabeth F Ying,or Lizzie Ying, born in New York City in 1875. Her father was born in China, per a census record.  I can't find names for her parents yet but will keep at it.  As an aside, I took part in the identification of Antonio Dardelle, a Chinese veteran of the 27th CT infantry in the Civil War. There are a couple great researchers for Asians in the Civil War out there.  Gordon Kwok and Irving Moy in particular, if you google them.

• 2 months later...