"LANDING IN JAPAN" ASHTRAY?

bldrhouse

bldrhouse

Has anyone seen one of these before?

I'd like to assume it is WWII landing of US troops on Japanese mainland after surrender, but seller has no info about it.

Thoughts?

image.png.18d57fd6ff073cbbbe35a826ea71656b.png

bldrhouse

here's another for sale; it has some coloring on the surround details.  again, no more info;

image.png.75dbe5b8c8e7e4e34b24546b1442118a.png

I doubt anyone  is making reproductions of these.

These were probably made in the 1950s. You see a lot of souvenirs like this that say "Memories of landing in Japan" such as: cigarette cases, lighters, handkerchiefs...etc. Very popular amongst GI's stationed in Occupied Japan post war. 

bldrhouse

yes, exactly my thought.  an inexpensive to produce souvenir to sell to the occupation forces.

Yeah there's tons of souvenirs like this in several varieties. Very interesting seeing all the variations.

thorin6

Could these be much older than WW2?  I have an ashtray that is marked Occupied Japan that I understand is a standard Post-WW2 vintage marking.

I was thinking when Perry landed in Japan in the mid-1800s?

6 hours ago, thorin6 said:

Could these be much older than WW2?  I have an ashtray that is marked Occupied Japan that I understand is a standard Post-WW2 vintage marking.

I was thinking when Perry landed in Japan in the mid-1800s?

I've never seen any of these souvenir items ever referred to that time period. Always Post WW2. Not saying it possibly didn't happen I've just never seen it. I would assume not though. I did find this pretty cool article talking about artifacts that Matthew Perry received on his expedition from 1853-1854.

https://mickmc.tripod.com/perryartif.html