Can this CW Soldier be a Musician?

stratasfan

Can the gent in this photo have been a musician? Mom thinks this is a soldier she is researching, but the guy she's looking up was a musician in the CW. Is there anything that anyone can tell form looking at this picture (rank, position, branch, etc.)? I really know nothing about Civil War uniforms! :) Thanks for any help!

Elizabeth

image.png

Close up:

image.png

Another close-up:

image.png

Crossed cannons on his kepi says he's artillery....This looks almost like your guy, as your picture is later in the war....This Alonzo Baker was said to have been in the cavalry though...Bodes

Alonzo S. Baker (1836-1929) - Find A Grave Memorial

There were a number of Alonzo Bakers but found only one that was a musician: Alonzo F., Co. B, 2nd New York Heavy Artillery. He died in the regimental hospital on 4 October 1863

Yes . . . it is the Alonzo who died in 1863 in the New York Artillery that Mom is looking for, and this picture is Alonzo from New York. Just wondering if there is anything that could mean he was a musician on his uniform or anything in the picture? 

Also, any idea where he would have been buried if he died in a Regimental Hospital? 

Bit of an update/correction . . . Alonzo wasn't a musician. Everything else from my previous post still goes . . . Artillery, died in 1863, buried where, etc. . . . So, is there anything about his uniform that says position or rank, etc. ? 

Thanks so much!

Thanks! Mom has been working on this gent yesterday, I'm going to pass all the info on to her! :)