Airship Pilot wing badge die: Airship wing examples and patterns

Again I appreciate your help and look forward to your reply. Ironically, I did find the ww2wings site after I'd posted here earlier this afternoon. Lots of valuable information, especially when clicking on the pics.

yep. Bob has done the most incredible job of putting together his webpage. Best. One. Ever.!!!

And I'm not saying that because I owe him money hah!

I wish you owed me money Patrick, then I could buy some more wings. Ha. Thanks for the kind words guys. It's much appreciated. Just wish I had more time to update the site. I'm sitting on about 40+ updates right now. Thanks for the patience everyone who submitted new items. I promise I will get them out to the site.

• 3 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Unidentified Airship Pilot mid 1930's

5th Composite Group, Hawaiian Air Force, Luke Field (Ford Island), T.H.

044c.jpg

044b.jpg

• 9 months later...

Last year someone who attended the Show of Shows sent a photo of this very nice embroidered Airship Pilot badge

that was still sewn to a uniform blouse. I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember who it was but hopefully if he should

see this post maybe he'll send a PM to remind me. In the meantime, I hope everyone will enjoy seeing it as I did. 

Airship Pilot bullion wings on uniform.jpg

• 6 months later...
rathbonemuseum.com

I recently purchased this formal portrait of Colonel William Turnbull, rated airship pilot, painted in 1943 by John Shelby Metcalf. Turnbull at this time was the newly appointed commander and builder of what was the Midwest Air Depot, which became the Oklahoma City Air Depot and then Tinker Air Base per General Arnold after General Clarence Tinker was killed at Midway. 

The portrait features Col Turnbull in his Model 1938 army officer dress blue uniform with his WWI victory medal, American defense medal, marksman qualification bars and his rated Airship pilot badge. 1st LT Turnbull was in the first class that took the newly relocated Balloon and Airship School at Scott Field, Belleville, IL. 

The painting was done by well known Oklahoma artist, John Shelby Metcalf, who painted a wide number of portraits of prominent citizens, judges and corporate leaders. I don't know where this painting hung, but probably somewhere on the base. It was later sold out of a garage sale in San Antonio, TX. Fortunately it survived relatively intact. 

0AD04E35-1174-4B81-972E-9E20713CD651_1_201_a.jpeg.e188c906434f182f1d3023f4d3753309.jpeg

• 2 months later...
rathbonemuseum.com
On 1/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, CliffP said:

Last year someone who attended the Show of Shows sent a photo of this very nice embroidered Airship Pilot badge

that was still sewn to a uniform blouse. I'm ashamed to say that I don't remember who it was but hopefully if he should

see this post maybe he'll send a PM to remind me. In the meantime, I hope everyone will enjoy seeing it as I did. 

Airship Pilot bullion wings on uniform.jpg

Hi @CliffP, I was the one who took the photo. Wish i had more info on it. 

Tod,

Really nice work getting this piece restored.  

I love that it was painted in an era where a "belching" smokestack was a symbol of industry and progress--and not of environmental catastrophe...

Was Turnbull ever at Langley Field?  The storage tanks and hangars may be reminiscent of some buildings there...

Chris

rathbonemuseum.com
On 10/23/2021 at 2:55 PM, cwnorma said:

Tod,

Really nice work getting this piece restored.  

I love that it was painted in an era where a "belching" smokestack was a symbol of industry and progress--and not of environmental catastrophe...

Was Turnbull ever at Langley Field?  The storage tanks and hangars may be reminiscent of some buildings there...

Chris

Chris, this pieces was painted by noted Oklahoma artist Metcalf in honor of Turnbull building the Oklahoma Air Depot (Later Tinker AF, now Tinker AFB). So assuming that is the background. Not Langley. It hung in some boardroom somewhere!

• 4 months later...
rathbonemuseum.com

Doesn't seem to be named. None of the folks on the post are the owner so no one to ask. Here are the pictures from the post and hopefully the owner can comment on any more information on the original pilot. 

DER. TUNIC FULL FIGURE (3).jpg

DER. TUNIC THREE QUARTER VIEW (3).jpg

DER. BOOTS ON DUMMY (3).jpg

DER. BAGE AND RIBBONS CLOSE UP.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

• 6 months later...
rathbonemuseum.com

@haw68added this great ad to another thread, from a BB&B ad for airship wings, as he wrote:

"Attached is an ad from Army and Navy Journal (July 22, 1922 pg 1162) showing the BB&B Airship Wings.  The 'from Official Die' means the insignia was produced from a stamping die that was made from an 'official' hub.  On other similar hubs I am familiar with the hub was made at the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia for the Philadelphia Quartermaster.  The QM would then send the 'official' hubs to select manufacturers to produce insignia.  In the case of the Airship Pilot Wings I can prove M C Lilley manufactured these from official dies.  I assume BB&B manufactured these from 'official' hubs sent to them as well.  However, it is possible BB&B acquired this insignia from Lilley or another manufacturer."

1807143647_1922July22-BaileyBanksBiddle-AirshipPilot-ArmyandNavyJournal-pg1162.jpg.10d5cfd3c606a531bd840a793d596c11.jpg

rathbonemuseum.com

And here is a BB&B airship wing currently offered on ebay for $3,500. Only 1000x the price of 100 years ago. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg