Pre-1898 weapons allowed on online auction?

Joe Visor

Historical Auction Block has had several requests to add a category for Pre-1898 firearms.

Originally, we decided against allowing any firearms for the obvious reasons. Due to the number of requests, we took a second look at how HAB could allow this category and still ensure that compliance to HAB site rules and Federal/State laws could be maintained.

Since HAB intention is to work for the collector, we are looking for your feedback. This is what we came up with:

Add a PRE-APPROVAL category for Pre-1898 Firearms, parts, and accessories (more detailed sub-categories would be added as needed).

What this would look like is, a user would have to agree that any item posted in the Pre-1898 category is subject to the approval of the Admin to ensure it meets the requirements of the category.

Items would be listed the same as any other item on HAB, but when “list item” is selected at the end of listing template, item would go into the approval queue. Item will be review within 48 hours. If all the criteria are met the item will post. If not, a notice will be sent to the user with reason why item could not be listed.

HAB is looking for your feedback on this because it will require a great deal of code work within the software. As with everything is this world, that means time and money!

So, before we would move ahead with this, we need to know what you think and a show of support. How can you do this?

First reply to this post in the comment section, and second register on HAB and select the Pre-1898 category option.

Charlie Flick

Hi Joe:

I think it would be great if HAB would permit the sales of pre-1898 firearms which are, or course, considered antiques under Federal law and not subject to the same requirements that modern firearms have.  

The pre-approval process you described seems rather onerous and time consuming, both for the seller and HAB.  If you make things too difficult sellers will simply head to Gunbroker.com, GunAuction.com or other similar sites.  

Pre-1898 firearms are generally very well known and are not difficult to identify.   Where you might have some trouble is with firearm models that were manufactured both before and after 1898.  For example, the U.S. Krag .30-40 rifles were manufactured both before and after 1898.  There might be some close questions there that would take effort to decipher.

Since you are asking for opinions, my opinion is that HAB simply state that its Rules require that all firearms sold be antiques as defined by Federal law.  That takes considerable burden off of you and will allow you to focus efforts to police the site for the occasional violations rather than having to vette every single proposed listing.

I see no reason at all for having any restrictions on listings for firearms parts and accessories.  Parts and accessories are not firearms and are not generally regulated by Federal Law.  (The exceptions are few and include things like AR-15 auto sears.)   If Ebay, notorious for its skittish, hyperventilated, Bay-area attitude on firearms, is willing to allow sales of M1903 Springfield rifle bolts, stocks, bayonets and slings then HAB should not be concerned either, in my opinion.  Many years ago Ebay took a very restrictive view on listings of firearms parts.  It lost them a huge revenue stream and ultimately that decision was reversed with little or nothing in the way of repercussions.

That is my two cents.  Hope it helps you.  Good luck on your new venture.

Regards,

Charlie