WWII USN AVIATION FIXED LOOP McCORD w 3rd PATTERN HAWLEY - “PICKLES” - Midway / Guadalcanal / Coral Sea Vet

Paddyd00

Hi Guys -

Do me a favor .... I know we all lead busy lives ... lord knows I have groaned at the long historical post recreations (sometimes 10 pages long) that people do for their helmets sometimes (mostly in the German Helmet scene)  haha ... But I'll keep this one short.  I am realizing as I collect WWII Helmets that finding the man behind the helmet is the Juice for me.  We talk about remembering these men and breathing life back into their exploits.  Well that is what I am doing here ... So if you can ..... take a moment and do it with me  .....

This Helmet belonged to a WWII Navy Aviation Ordnanceman and Aircrewman named James J. Pickelsimer who was born in Wyoming. I found some of his Navy Muster Rolls online.  I also obtained a hand typed bio that he must have written about his service history as it is written in the 1st Person (or perhaps prepared by a family member).  Much of this is represented below from his Memoir as well as additional info that I found and I cross referenced the Timeline with his Story and filled in some missing pieces on my own ...

James enlisted in 1940, starting as a Seaman then he received some Aviation training and later became an AOM2C serving as part of the crew of the U.S.S. Yorktown (Carrier) which was stationed in Pearl Harbor.  After researching and speaking to some USMF Aviation Guys here trying to decipher (Thank you guys) it seems that James was probably in charge of Ordnance along with others in his Squadron but went on several bombing runs himself. In what capacity it is unclear... radio detail? ... bomber?...etc.  The Yorktown was on the East Coast in the Atlantic at the time of the Japanese attack on Pearl but was quickly ordered back to the Pacific.  Upon arrival, James, his planes (Torpedo Squadron 5, VT-5... also flying with Douglas TBDs) and his boat were involved in every major Naval and Air engagement right at the beginning of the war with Japan.  

He was there for one of the first counter attacks against the Japanese during the Marshall-Gilbert Islands Raids. Then he was active at the Battle of the Coral Sea and finally fought at Midway where his boat, the Yorktown was stricken on June 4, 1942 and was sunk for good a few days later.  He survived (see survivor report says he may have been landbased at this time? unclear where he was but listed on Survivor report from the Yorktown) and was later attached to Colonel Carson's 2nd Marine Raiders Battalion according to his Memoir (pic). He landed in late 1942 on Guadalcanal and possibly his duties were assisting (or flying) with the Cactus Air Force at Henderson Field (I don't know exactly). I hope to find out more about this as it is unclear how he was involved. His Muster Roles after the sinking on June 7, 1942 until Feb 1943 are incomplete. So I can only assume the actions of these months were some type of special Ad Hoc duties of which I would like to track down.  EDIT - I did find the Guadalcanal connection.  It seems he was attached to an Ad Hoc unit called Acorn Red One (seeing this designation on one of his Muster rolls). I then looked up the unit and it seems that it was a Navy Unit assigned to Guadalcanal to assist ... some of it was made up of Officers and Enlisted men from sunken Carriers.  I would love to find some documents relating to it but that's the connection no doubt. It says the primary reason for Acorn Red One was "to support and maintain shore based Naval Aircraft and the aviation maintenance personnel assigned were sent to Henderson Field." Unsure of his connection directly to the Raiders but perhaps worked closely with them in some capacity.

In February 1943 his plane was shot down ...... Suffering from Malaria (I assume received at Guadalcanal) , Shrapnel wounds and severe back injuries - he went to New Zealand to recover and received a Purple Heart.  His Injuries sustained must have been pretty severe because he then returned to the US to recuperate.  He remained stateside and worked at several Air Stations on the West Coast before finally being discharged in June 1946. Then he joined the Merchant Marines ...... going all over the Pacific again.  He then tried his hand in civilian life selling Hot Dogs with his Mom but it didn't take ...so he re-enlisted in the US Navy in 1951 and was attached to various Squadrons all over (Korea, Alaska, Japan, Hawaii) but mainly serving proudly on the U.S.S. Essex back to his roots on a Carrier. He was supposed to board a plane in Alaska for a Patrol in 1951 but an hour or so beforehand he was rushed to the hospital for Emergency Surgery.  That plane ended up crashing on a mountaintop in Alaska killing all 13 of his crewmates aboard.   He made a career of the US Navy retiring in 1970 to relax after a life filled with these legendary accomplishments and to spend some time with his wife Irene. James J Picklesimer passed away on June 23rd, 1999 in California. He was the recipient of too many Medals here to list (see pics).

As far as the Helmet itself .... I like how this helmet maintained its original OD paint despite its shipboard use. Many Navies have been painted a variety of colors as we know so it’s a nice to see an early Navy like this intact with no alterations. The steel pot has a great patina on it.  Lot number on this one is 127E from early / mid 1942. His nickname “Pickles” is stenciled onto the pot and the matching Hawley liner. Liner is in great condition with all its original parts sans the chinstrap (it's there just busted). To think that this Helmet was likely zipping around the Pacific in some of the greatest Naval and Air battles in History, or camping in the Jungle of Guadalcanal makes it just that more awesome.

I have quite a few researched helmets now so I hopefully will be learning a lot more about James even though I have a pretty great head start of this Hero's exploits.  I only wish I could have such an impressive biography as this man here. The previous previous owner was Pieter Oosterman who acquired this one straight from the Veterans family some years ago along with a hand typed biography of this Navy man and Flier, documents, IDs and pictures of James which are now in my possession. I am glad to have this one around. A great helmet with a great look from a great man.

Thanks for taking the time!

Z

•••• I have gotten lucky with a few helmets lately and have found that their stories turned out to be bigger than I ever could have imagined.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

3A.jpg

5C.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

11A.jpg

11C.jpg

11D.jpg

12r.jpg

20 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

Wow, all I can say is wow.

Thanks Duder ... They dont make em like this anymore! (The man ... not the Lid 😉)

Z

Ok this is one of the best Hemet's I’ve seen. Your photography skills are getting better and better which shows off this wonderful helmet and it’s history. Your collection is filling up with top self helmets. 

marty

55 minutes ago, 644td said:

Ok this is one of the best Hemet's I’ve seen. Your photography skills are getting better and better which shows off this wonderful helmet and it’s history. Your collection is filling up with top self helmets. 

marty

Marty. Thanks a lot brother. I remember when I first started collecting telling Frank (from the German helms) “oh I don’t care about photography”. Now I love it. But like you said. Properly documenting these helmets they live on. Out of my hands even. Someone else can see in future. And for me. I look at these all the time. Catalog them. Pass the time wondering about them. Appreciate the really nice comments. 
Z

56 minutes ago, elh1311 said:

That's a hell of a set and background to go with it. 

Thanks! Ye olde mossy concrete wall does come in handy for helmets! 
Z

45 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Wow, Zach. Really cool!

Dave

Dave - thanks for the Aviation knowledge too. It was super helpful 

Z

Nice seeing this beauty again. Great research and history...not to be forgotten. 

Sadly ironic that he died 21 days after his membership in the Association of Aviation Ordnance Men expired.  

Old Crow 1986

I've been following this story since your original request for information about ordancemen earlier this week.  I'm not a navy guy so I let the experts fill in the blanks on enlisted navy aviators.  Now, with their input, your sleuthing efforts and dedication, the story of Petty Officer James J. Pickelsimer gets to live on.  

Nicely done!  Thanks for being "Pickles'" caretaker.  

1 hour ago, Old Crow 1986 said:

I've been following this story since your original request for information about ordancemen earlier this week.  I'm not a navy guy so I let the experts fill in the blanks on enlisted navy aviators.  Now, with their input, your sleuthing efforts and dedication, the story of Petty Officer James J. Pickelsimer gets to live on.  

Nicely done!  Thanks for being "Pickles'" caretaker.  

Awesome Old Crow. Great post and I appreciate it !

Z

Wow Zach!

Thats an incredible helmet! Thank you for sharing.

It‘s always to have pictures alongside to go with the helmet.

Makes it much nicer for display purposes.

Good pictures my friend ;-)

B

M24 Chaffee

Congratulations on a great addition to your collection and thanks for presenting the history of the man under the helmet! Very interesting!

Frank

Schwerpunkt

Hello Zach , I see you are doing a superb job collecting these historical M1's  , great topic.

Let's discuss a price for your German KM Helmets :-)