Vietnam era unknown patch ID: 15th Support Brigade

Matt-M

I got these 2 patches together....I know the pocket hanger on the left is USARV, but no clue as to the patch on the right. It is in country made. Any help appreciated.

M.

2021-06-22 22.36.26.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

"The 15th Support Brigade Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, or unit patch, was approved on 20 December 1966 for the unit that had been constituted the previous May and activated 1 July 1966 at Fort Hood. The 15th Support Brigade was inactivated on 20 October 1967 in Vietnam, reactivated on 21 September 1968 at Fort Lewis"

If someone could enlighten me on exactly what this unit did during their service, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Matt

16 minutes ago, Matt-M said:

If someone could enlighten me on exactly what this unit did during their service, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks

Matt

Typically, Support Brigades did as their name suggests: they supported soldiers in the field. Support Brigades were responsible for establishing Clothing Exchange and Bath units, textile renovation, ammunition supply, supply and storage of petroleum, field kitchens, field bakeries, automotive and equipment maintenance and other needed services.

Allan

Thank you very much, Allan. Very helpful. Wasn't sure if was supply as you have illustrated, or if more in a direct combat support role, such as moving munitions and gear to the front lines.

M.

Hi,

The HQ & HQ Co, 15th Support Brigade, was the company choosed by the 1st Logistical Command on 26 feb 1967 in Vietnam to Staff the Task Force Oregon Discom at Chu Lai. The TF was activated on 12 april 1967 and the TF HQ arrived in Chu Lai on 18 april 1967.

The TF Oregon Support Command (Prov) was composed of the following units :

HHC 15th Support Bde (GS) (-)

HHC 94th Sup & Svc Bn (DS) (-)

221st Sup & Svc Co

163rd Trans Co (Lt Trk)

3rd Plt, 10th Trans Co (Med Trk)

HQ & Maint Spt Co, 188th Maint Bn

335th Trans Co (DS) (Acft Maint)

Co C, 25th Medical Bn

On 17 october 1967 (when TF Oregon became Americal Division) the 15th Support Bde was deactived.

Best, Croc

4 hours ago, CROC said:

Hi,

The HQ & HQ Co, 15th Support Brigade, was the company choosed by the 1st Logistical Command on 26 feb 1967 in Vietnam to Staff the Task Force Oregon Discom at Chu Lai. The TF was activated on 12 april 1967 and the TF HQ arrived in Chu Lai on 18 april 1967.

The TF Oregon Support Command (Prov) was composed of the following units :

HHC 15th Support Bde (GS) (-)

HHC 94th Sup & Svc Bn (DS) (-)

221st Sup & Svc Co

163rd Trans Co (Lt Trk)

3rd Plt, 10th Trans Co (Med Trk)

HQ & Maint Spt Co, 188th Maint Bn

335th Trans Co (DS) (Acft Maint)

Co C, 25th Medical Bn

On 17 october 1967 (when TF Oregon became Americal Division) the 15th Support Bde was deactived.

Best, Croc

Yeah we'd love to see one of these 15th Spt Bde patches worn In Country, no sightings so far.

CROC.....that is awesome info...thank you very, very much! The undertaking these guys had to deal with in the hot, humid jungles must have been exhausting and frustrating. Jungle rot, rain, sticky, snakes, insects....and getting all of that stuff into the jungle on top of all of the conditions. Incredible stuff.