WAAC Questions...

Bodes

Forum members, I purchased a number of items from the estate of a WW2 WAAC officer approximately ten years ago and have some questions....One question is, her obituary states she was transferred to the Women's Army Air Corps after being trained for coastal artillery....I'm thinking they were referring to the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps instead...Her uniform however has an air corps patch and collar insignia....Was she than under the auspices of the air corps?...

Another question is, I purchased a B-15 style jacket at the sale and am curious about chances it's authentic wartime or a postwar civilian version....She was stationed on the east coast of the US (Washington D.C. area) and never went overseas....She obtained the rank of major being being mustered out in 1946...The jacket has no tag and no leather triangles or leather zipper pull....I believe the zipper is a zinc Crown manufactured one similar to those found on carbine gun cases...Zipper is central and not offset....There is a blue outline of air corps insignia on the left shoulder....All signs lead me to believe it's a civilian version....I would like to think however if she was working under the air corps that maybe she had connections for getting a wartime jacket....Any thoughts/opinions appreciated as usual.....Bodes

Bodes,

The women who were assigned to the AAF were called Air WACS. They were officially part of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps and then the Women's Army Corps. I think the people who wrote the obituary were a little confused because she was assigned to the Army Air Corps but she was technically a WAC.

As to the B-15 jacket, she could have gotten it when she was stationed with the Air Corps. There were instances where WAAC drivers and mechanics were issued the men's M1941 field jacket. So it doesn't seen far off that an Air WAAC would get her hands on a B-15 jacket. 

...Kat

16 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Bodes,

The women who were assigned to the AAF were called Air WACS. They were officially part of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps and then the Women's Army Corps. I think the people who wrote the obituary were a little confused because she was assigned to the Army Air Corps but she was technically a WAC.

As to the B-15 jacket, she could have gotten it when she was stationed with the Air Corps. There were instances where WAAC drivers and mechanics were issued the men's M1941 field jacket. So it doesn't seen far off that an Air WAAC would get her hands on a B-15 jacket. 

...Kat

Due to the strains of trying to supply an ever growing military, the WAAC's were issued men's clothing at the beginning....I have one or two of her shirts that are definitely men's....Also have one from Saks Fifth Avenue, but since she was stationed on the east coast that wouldn't seem too unusual...

As for the B-15, I'm thinking it's a private purchase one...This might explain the lack of a government tag in the neck....Bodes