48 star flag

4th Miss Cav

4th Miss Cav

I picked this up today in a group of items I bought from a local collector.  The flag is marked H Q Comp 3 Batt. AEF.  This flag is big. 8' by 5'.  There is smaller writing to the right but so far I cant make it out.  I think it is wool bunting but not positive on that.  It does have quite a bit of damage but overall I think it will display well once I figure out the best way to protect it from further damage. I don't see any kind of makers mark or stamp anywhere on the flag.   Any opinions on cloth type or possible manufacturer would be much appreciated. 

flag 1.jpg

flag 2.jpg

flag 3.jpg

flag 4.jpg

dhcoleterracina

Better pictures would help but I like the look of the flag. It's the right material (wool) and appearance of the right amount of age. 

Many things get added to the hoist of a flag, some legitimate, some spurious. The photo looks a little washed out, a better picture would help. 

One thing I would do is hit up your collector friend for more info about where it came from. Did anything come with it? I'd also try and do some digging on the unit to first see if one existed and where served. 

I have a few WW1 Navy flags but no Army flags to compare. It would be good to know If the Army used a 5x8. Commercially, a 5x8 is a standard size too.  I'm also unaware of (and would love to see) a book that describes in detail the use of Army flags. What I have read has been too general. One book from the WW1 period lists Army flag sizes as 38x20  Garrison flag,  19x10  Post flag, and a storm flag of 9.5x5. Regimental flags are silk and measure 5.5x4.4 approximately. Parade flags are silk and 52x66 inches.

It's a nice flag. I don't think it's military since the 5' x 8' size is not a military specified size in any of the old regulations I have looked at. The 3 x 5, 4 x 6, 5 x 8 and 6 x 12 are common commercial flag sizes. Authentic government flags should have a fly about twice as long as the hoist a 1:1.9 ratio I think. The triangular corner reinforcements might be a clue to manufacturer but I don't have one like that.

4th Miss Cav

It was in a bag with a couple of WWII homefront banners.  He told me he has had it since the 70's, when he picked it up at an estate sale.  His father put on estate sales in the 60's, 70's, and 80's and gave him military items as pay.  That is all I have on it.  I appreciate all the information.  

4th Miss Cav

I just measured it and it and the actual size is 90" x 46"  If it's a homefront piece can the moderator please move it.

dhcoleterracina

Our country, rather suddenly, found ourselves at war in 1917. Overnight there was a need to equip our guys and I believe we initially wore Brit helmets, used French arms before we could catch up materially. I don't think it's at all unlikely that commercial flags made it into overseas service. I just wish Army flags were as easily identifiable as Navy flags. In the case of this flag, I really don't know and I am not condemning it at all. I'd still like to see a better shot of the writing and the writing that you can't decipher. 

4th Miss Cav

First shot is I hope a better picture of the H Q Comp 3 Batt AEF.  Second is writing I cant make out, Third and I don't know how I missed it before is a stamping on the back side.  I don't take it as condemning it at all.  I am just interested in finding out what it actually is, so I value your opinion.  Military or homefront to me it is still a great piece that I didn't have before.  The man wanted $30.00 for this and 2 banners so I didn't think I could go wrong.  So again I appreciate all the information.

David 

flag 5.jpg

flag 6.jpg

flag 7.jpg

I tried enhancing it in Photoshop, but to no avail. You might have luck with an old video camera with an IR light on it as that can see the carbon in the ink better than we can. Can we see the whole flag?

4th Miss Cav

I tried a black light and I also read an older post about using night vision and tried that and it I still could not read it.  Here are some full size shots.

flag 8.jpg

flag 9.jpg

dhcoleterracina

I think the first word on the stamping is "standard" 

At that price I would have much more confidence on the marking. Sadly there are many who have marked flags as coming from Pearl Harbor attack,  Iwo Jima, Normandy and on. Those spurious flags have sold into the thousands with nothing more than a fresh inscription on the hoist.