Early 1990's Nylon 'M1943 Jungle Pack' Made by Tritek

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

So here's an odd one I couldn't find anything about. Tritek in Utah made this pack. I know very little about that company, other than they apparently made other packs, and had a hand in developing the CFP-90 ruck. 

As for the pack, it appears to be a nearly direct copy of the M1943 jungle pack, making use of nylon and more modern hardware. It's a single main compartment, with a zippered pocket in the lid, and a row of loops sewn across the top of the lid. Shoulder straps are very basic (strap buckles are dated 1991). There are two long loop straps that come off the shoulder straps at an angle; those differ from the original in that they don't have hooks on them. Pack lid has the three tabs with grommets for M1910 hooks. All in all, it's a nice basic pack.

My question is, why was it made? The M1943 was not well-liked during WW2 partly because of the lack of a frame. You'd certainly sweat like crazy wearing this one for any length of time. I'm curious who (maybe Special Forces) would have needed this, or if it was just a one-off demo for the company. Has anyone seen one of these before?

100_5582.JPG

100_5583.JPG

100_5584.JPG

100_5585.JPG

100_5586.JPG

100_5587.JPG

100_5588.JPG

100_5589.JPG

100_5590.JPG

American Graffiti

Really nice whatever it is Prototype/one off

Ive always thought the WW2 jungle pack is an incredibly modern design, ahead of its time for sure and forerunner for lots of mountaineering rucksacks that came later.

AG

They sold these in a couple of catalogs in the early 90s. If I recall Brigade Quartermaster had them. I assume they were just made for the surplus market.

Linedoggie

Brigade quartermaster sold them along with a camo version and a boonie type survival hat

IIRC they played up the original designer had upgraded them

milsurp_scout_14

Thanks for the info everyone. I have a bit of a collection of the aftermarket stuff, so we'll stash it in that pile!

On 6/24/2021 at 2:51 AM, American Graffiti said:

Really nice whatever it is Prototype/one off

Ive always thought the WW2 jungle pack is an incredibly modern design, ahead of its time for sure and forerunner for lots of mountaineering rucksacks that came later.

AG

As an aside - one of the last jungle packs I bought was at the Midwest Mountaineering garage sale here in MN.  I'm sure the thing saw 60+ years of use! 

That 90s pack is neat, and about the same size/shape as the Kelty pack I regularly take into the wilderness.