WW2 or fake?

Marie33

Marie33

Hi, everyone! I'm new as a member to this forum but have been interested in these discussions for a while now. If possible, could I get some feedback on the authenticity of this 101st Airborne patch, meant to be from WW2 and cut from a uniform? Nothing sticks out to me as highly suspicious so far, but my knowledge is limited. I don't have a black light. The patch is very flexible, bends naturally with the fabric it's sewn to, and I can tell it's not attached with some kind of glue or adhesive. 

Thank you in advance, and I'm looking forward to spending more time here and improving my eye for artifacts. 

20210618_150506.jpg

20210618_150518.jpg

20210618_150535.jpg

20210618_150625.jpg

Brian Keith

Welcome to the forum,

101st insignia is quite popular. There are quite a few types. On Mark Bando's web site they are discussed extensively. Yours is a good looking insignia, but I can't give you much of info on era. You have provided great photographs that will help the patch collectors to give you info.

Best Regards,

BKW

AustinO

I would call this a "type 10" and the most common of 101st patches.  They were used from late WWII until Vietnam.  Still holds value, as the dog chain border embellishment was something done just after WWII and is somewhat desirable. 

Marie33
1 hour ago, AustinO said:

I would call this a "type 10" and the most common of 101st patches.  They were used from late WWII until Vietnam.  Still holds value, as the dog chain border embellishment was something done just after WWII and is somewhat desirable. 

This is very helpful information. Would you say it was possibly in use late in the second world war, or definitely afterwards?

Marie33
8 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

Welcome to the forum,

101st insignia is quite popular. There are quite a few types. On Mark Bando's web site they are discussed extensively. Yours is a good looking insignia, but I can't give you much of info on era. You have provided great photographs that will help the patch collectors to give you info.

Best Regards,

BKW

I looked this website up and there are so many great details on these. I'll be bookmarking it for sure. Thank you!