Navy/USMC Parachutist Badge in Silver?

Basic Rifleman

Basic Rifleman

Were the Navy/USMC Parachutist/Rigger badges ever authorized for wear in silver? This one has the same look and feel as the older gold filled badges, and at first glance I thought perhaps a gold wash was either never applied or removed. Upon closer inspection, I feel fairly confident in saying there was never any Gold applied. They are heavy and well made, but absent of a makers mark. They came with the flat back clutches as shown. Any help identifying these wings would be most appreciated.

S/F,

Tom

rigger.jpg

rigger2.jpg

Chances are they're foreign. Many countries use similar wings, and in fact the US has even made wings over the years for allied countries use

The fact that the back of the wing is back and the dark details on the front of the wing make me think that it was designed to be a subdued wing. As Brig says, there are a lot of foreign countries who use this pattern of wing, so I would think that it is more likely that it was made for a foreign country. The flat clutches make me think that somebody wanted collectors to think that it was WWII vintage. I do not believe that to be the case.

Allan

Looking at the back side of the badge which is a solid black finish, I can't fathom why that would ever be done on a bright metal wing. I don't believe I have ever seen a non-subdued wing or any other piece of insignia that had the back finished in black that did not begin life as a piece of subdued insignia. Is there any reasonable explanation as to why a wing would be finished in such a manner if it wasn't subdued?

Allan

easterneagle87

Like someone above, it could have been made for someone else. THere aren’t any markings on it. Just a dark gray finish. I think it’s just the lighting of the picture that makes it look black.