Trying to ID a US sailor: Clinton Gotham USS Kephart

sundance

I've been offered a Navy  uniform consisting of a blue jumper and bell bottoms which I believe is WW2. The uniform has a Ruptured Duck which I associate with WW2. The label says Naval Clothing Factory and is named to Clinton Gotham. In another location it says C O Gotham so I'm guessing we have an "O" middle initial. It's being offered in western  NY. Lastly, the front of the pants has, if I correctly recollect, lacing rather than buttons. Any info on a Clinton Gotham would be greatly appreciated. 

He was crew of USS Kephart DE-207 when she was commissioned on 7 January 1944, so he was a plankholder I beleive.' He was still aboard Kephart when she was reclassified as APD-61,  a high speed transport. 

Read the war record of Kephart and you have his record.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.21.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.11.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.12.00 PM.png

In Janaury 1946 he was mustered off the ship and went to New York to be discharged. Based on the little bit I read about the Kephart I'd say he spent his time as combat sailor.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.24.23 PM.png''Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.24.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 9.25.16 PM.png

Thank you Aznation. Copies of the items you and Bob have provided are going right into the pockets of the uniform.

7 hours ago, sundance said:

I've been offered a Navy  uniform consisting of a blue jumper and bell bottoms which I believe is WW2. The uniform has a Ruptured Duck which I associate with WW2. The label says Naval Clothing Factory and is named to Clinton Gotham. In another location it says C O Gotham so I'm guessing we have an "O" middle initial. It's being offered in western  NY. Lastly, the front of the pants has, if I correctly recollect, lacing rather than buttons. Any info on a Clinton Gotham would be greatly appreciated. 

I can not imagine the front of the trousers having lacing. 

1 minute ago, sigsaye said:

I can not imagine the front of the trousers having lacing. 

Additionally, it appears that he was a “Sonar Man, Third Class”. 

Thanks sigsaye. I'll check again as to where I saw the lacing. Also, do you know how I would clean the jumper and pants? They are in very good condition but have dirt in spots.

3 hours ago, sundance said:

Thank you Aznation. Copies of the items you and Bob have provided are going right into the pockets of the uniform.

You're welcome.  Something else to add.

Source:  Ancestry.com

c1.jpg

c1a.jpg

28 minutes ago, sundance said:

Thanks sigsaye. I'll check again as to where I saw the lacing. Also, do you know how I would clean the jumper and pants? They are in very good condition but have dirt in spots.

Normally, I’d send them to the cleaners. But unless they know how to do enlisted Navy uniforms, they will press them totally wrong. A bit of cool water and non limiting cloth maybe. 

1 hour ago, sundance said:

They are in very good condition but have dirt in spots.

A brush with stiff bristles can do miracles cleaning dirt off uniforms without harming the fabric.

brush.jpg

4 hours ago, sundance said:

sigsaye - would I have been looking at lacing on the jumper?

No, not on a jumper. The trousers have lacing in the back. I have seen people selling USN enlisted uniforms, that thought the laces were in the front and the “Broad Fall”, ( it’s actual name), was in the rear, like like on old union suit underwear. 

Salvage Sailor
2 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

No, not on a jumper. The trousers have lacing in the back. I have seen people selling USN enlisted uniforms, that thought the laces were in the front and the “Broad Fall”, ( it’s actual name), was in the rear, like like on old union suit underwear. 

that and turned inside out

4 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

that and turned inside out

Quite true. Enlisted uniforms were turned inside out, pressed flat. Then, the jumper, is folded in half the long way, across the front and pressed again. That is how you get the distinctive creases and look.