Woodsman’s Pal in Vietnam

Brian Keith

I really like this Woodman's Pal machete/knife and thinking of getting one but I have a couple of questions.

How do you differentiate a WW2 Pal from a Vietnam era one? Is it that the WW2 stamp/markings runs parallel to the blade -vs- the Vietnam era stamp that runs perpendicular, and also that it has the Frank & Warren mark as well? And do others made after Vietnam have similar markings too?

This one might be a really dumb question but, wouldn't the handle guard make it difficult to use the brush hook by it getting in the way of one's grip, likely rubbing against the back or front of the hand while using it upside down? - Thanks in advance.

57 minutes ago, SolWarrior said:

I really like this Woodman's Pal machete/knife and thinking of getting one but I have a couple of questions.

How do you differentiate a WW2 Pal from a Vietnam era one? Is it that the WW2 stamp/markings runs parallel to the blade -vs- the Vietnam era stamp that runs perpendicular, and also that it has the Frank & Warren mark as well? And do others made after Vietnam have similar markings too?

This one might be a really dumb question but, wouldn't the handle guard make it difficult to use the brush hook by it getting in the way of one's grip, likely rubbing against the back or front of the hand while using it upside down? - Thanks in advance.

The WW2 era Woodmans Pal is slightly longer than the Vietnam era survival tools.  The actual Woodmans Pal tools were made by Victor Tool Co and will be marked on the blade with that info and Reading PA if a WW2 era.  In between that info will also be a model number.   If it is one of the US Army tools it will have 280 as model and then marked on the hand/knuckle guard will be LC-14-B which was the Army designation for it.  The LC-14-B was used as a multipurpose knife, machete and axe. Victor was still in business into the Vietnam era but didnt seem to have any contracts with the military with the slightly shorter survival tool kits known as a Type IV but they did make some in that style with the model number 784 as shown on the other page here. 

The mid 60s is where the Frank & Warren Type IV survival tool kits come in.  Those will be marked with their name and the mil spec number on the blade.  These Type IV tools were designed more as a survival item vs a regular use tool although they certainly can be used for such, but hence their name was a Type IV Survival Tool Kit. The Frank & Warren tools seem to be from 1966 and 67 from dates on their sheaths.  I do know they made some other type of Survival Tool Kits called Global Survival Kits or a Type I survival kit which Victor also made, which had a Pal style tool, I think model 681 if made by Victor which have a  wood handle painted red and lack the guard, plus a saw/knife kit with handle.   Even as far as the Gulf War the Type IV survival tools were made during 1991 contracts by 2 contractors.  1 was Kings Point Mfg, and the other Survival Equipment Company which I think actually goes back to Victor Tool Co.

1 hour ago, SolWarrior said:

These are 3 of my various tools.  Left is the WW2 Victor Tool model 280/LC-14-B.  Can see the length difference and the sheath looks different.  Middle is a 1967 dated Frank & Warren Type IV Survival Tool Kit, and Right is a 1991 dated Survival Equipment Company Type IV Survival Took Kit.  Can see the Type IV sheath style, its shorter, US marked and the D guard on the handle is a slight different shape than the Woodman's Pal from Victor.

Tool Evolution.jpg

Thanks MohawkALSE., for sharing your knowledge. Some excellent info that is much appreciated, buddy.

If anyone else can answer the dumb question (below) I'd appreciate it. ☺️

This one might be a really dumb question but, wouldn't the handle guard make it difficult to use the brush hook by it getting in the way of one's grip, likely rubbing against the back or front of the hand while using it upside down?

On 9/5/2022 at 10:18 AM, mdk0911 said:

Great topic - currently a mint Frank & Warren Type IV Survival Tool Kit for sale on gunbroker

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/946213144

pix477098359.jpg

Thats a nice 1966, cool it still has that label on it.  I wonder if the case still has the sharpening stone and burning lens inside the case or if they are AWOL.

• 11 months later...
Shooterj2003

These are definitely interesting as militaria,and very useful tools for camping ,fishing,hunting and just general outdoors activity,I don’t have one one day I will get the military unit ,for now I use this ,a very similar tool,mine is very work worn  but this a picture of a new one,see any similarities? This is known as a sugar cane knife and very useful,I’ll make a sheath based on those I’ve seen here.I also have a paracord lanyard I installed,I’ll send a pic of mine later.love the issue onesIMG_3518.jpeg.11cebcc7e201408f6aea961ab04d81fa.jpeg