Special Forces web gear set

Mercenary25

They look like triple canopy contractors.... I'm shocked that they aren't carrying AKs. :lol:

And if I'm not mistaken, Triple Canopy recruited mainly from the Army SF ranks. So, these could have very easily been former Army Rangers.

Arch

Yes.... and others also slipped in under the wire.

And if I'm not mistaken, Triple Canopy recruited mainly from the Army SF ranks. So, these could have very easily been former Army Rangers.

Arch

Was going to say this reminds me of Scouts and Rangers. The proper term is 550 cord, we never called it para cord, but we used the hell out of it all throughout the 90s. I cant think of anything we didn't tie down with it including our

web gear.

Some of our guys in Scouts 2-5 wore H-straps but they were the nylon versions which were around for awhile. A few senior NCOs did had Vietnam H-straps. H-straps really distributed the load better than Y-straps and were favored. I still have mine somewhere. We also wore the whole set loosened down low rather than up at mid waist and at times did not buckle them in the front but the back. The gear would hang off your sides this way instead of being in front if you had to get prone fast. It wasn't SOP and things always changed per OP and even day. There was a lot of leniency in the field. You did what worked. This was to let your gear take a hit rather than having your rump up in the air because your propped up on your magazine pouches.

Anyway, my two cents. Reminds me more of Ranger and Scout modifications. Including the removed clips and buckles.

didnt the M67 H harness look alot like the 56 H gear but in nylon and with slight differences such as snap hooks up top to put the buttpack up top? I know that several knock-off manufacturers made commercial copies of the 67 pattern H gear up till the 2000s, and it was better than the Y harnesses in some aspects.. Ive owned knock-offs of both the 67 and the LC Y suspenders and they were OK

Black Hawk Industries' RACK can be found in some tactical gear stores. I'm sure contractors could get their hands on it. I don't see anything wrong with contractors using Army equipment. Just my 2 cents.

I got to agree with snake36bravo. H-harness is more comfortable than Y-harness. I have both and if I were a soldier during 80's to 90's, I'd pick H-harness over Y.

P.S. It is interesting how this web gear led to discussion!

My black hat is screaming right now

I'm with hawkdriver again on this one,

Those are contractors not rangers!

You will have a one off now and again, but the rangers are known by being strac!

Any deviation would bring down the wrath of the ranger Gods very fast.

pinch.gif

My uneducated opinion - if the set in the first photograph were an actual set rigged and used by a Special Forces soldier, it would be covered in 100mph tape (like in the photo of the soldier wearing the camo net, further down in the thread) and they'd know how to properly tie a square knot. For what it's worth.

well, not all Army SF are Rangers ;):P

Ok,not all SF are Rangers,

but getting back to the original issue of the post

The "modified" LBE in question COULD of been used by SF personnel, but very doubtful.

The SF have more leeway than the Rangers due in gear selection.

All I can say is that nobody in the OK Corral where I worked wore a LBE similar to what you have described.

pinch.gif

It's really doubtful that those are Rangers, more likely, contractors in Iraq.

i would have to say there def US SOCOM or CIA. i cant imagine a contractor with a PEC2 BOX

i cant imagine a contractor with a PEC2 BOX

CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK

ATTENTION: This item is restricted to Military / Law Enforcement personnel ONLY. Unable to ship to APO/FPO addresses.

Please contact ADS or call 1-866-845-3012 for a price quote.

I guess you are right they must be "special" crying.gif

CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK

ATTENTION: This item is restricted to Military / Law Enforcement personnel ONLY. Unable to ship to APO/FPO addresses.

Please contact ADS or call 1-866-845-3012 for a price quote.

I guess you are right they must be "special" crying.gif

whats that from? trying to buy a pec2 box?

whats that from? trying to buy a pec2 box?

Well they are currently out of stock but you can call them for a price quote on one if you fit the criteria and have the money for the thing to add to your collection.

Well they are currently out of stock but you can call them for a price quote on one if you fit the criteria and have the money for the thing to add to your collection.

By the by it's a AN/PEQ-2A and it's to be replaced soon by the AN/PEQ-15 ATPIAL. And yes they are available on the open market to qualified persons and organizations :blink: , moving on now.

i would have to say there def US SOCOM or CIA. i cant imagine a contractor with a PEC2 BOX

You haven't been deployed have you? Go take a walk around the green zone for about 10 minutes and you will realize that contract security has better eqipment and weapons than the Army does. If the Army has it, you can bet that they have it as well.

thanks for correcting my post, i know theres a few different sopmod variations. and you kind of came across kinda harsh. i was just saying im no contractor but in all the pictures ive never seen any with those and i know they have better gear than regular army. their all "privately" funded and government backed/ funded. they have a field day picking out their weapons and gear. and no i have not been deployed and contractors really have no reason to have an/ peq-2a's there not tactical units. i dont know everything and i make mistakes im here to learn enjoy your mystery gear/personnel topic

Wasn't meaning or trying to come across harsh, you made an assumptive fact that I wanted to clarify. There are contractors deployed in all kinds of positions. I'm talking contractor security, not the maintenance type contractors. These guys do have a reason to have a PEQ, they do most of the VIP transport, Blackwater does a bulk of that work as well. Or at least they did until that contract didn't get renewed by the Obama regime.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize in advance for reviving this pretty old thread.

I stumbled across photos from the book "U.S. Special Forces: Airborne Rangers, Delta & U.S. Navy Seals" Some of them still do use 56 pattern gears during Desert Storm and 90's era. I scanned them for reference.

d-boy.jpg

Here is Delta Force Operator in Desert Storm with 56 pattern suspenders.

seal.jpg

Here is a seal with a modified 56 pattern suspenders and 56 buttpack (or 61?) and some strange aftermarket pouches (?).

seals.jpg

Here are Seals wearing 56 pattern suspenders. Note: One of them wear ERDL bonnie cap.

those "strange looking pouches" are most likely for the M60 belts, as he seems to be firing the M60E3 model...maybe LBT or SOMAV or DBT?

those "strange looking pouches" are most likely for the M60 belts, as he seems to be firing the M60E3 model...maybe LBT or SOMAV or DBT?

Yes, it is M60E3. Can you enlighten me by telling what is SOMAV and DBT? LBT is London Bridge Trading, right?

SOMAV was a company that was popular with SEALS on terms of totally custom vests, tailored for SEALS, theyre used by the SEALs, and is a popular modular vest, even if only a few were made, according to the Halberstadt book..heres a pic from specwargear

vest-somav-6.jpg

vest-somav-5.jpg

DBT is Diamond Back Tactical, a company that makes pouches and equipment for operators, there was a post related to the DBT's SAW ammo pouch dividers in the field gear forum :)

As a regular grunt corpsman in the early 80's, I wore a mixed bag of current issue, VN, Korea and WWII web gear to suit the needs of the day. If I had to comply with the standard USMC issue gear, I don't think I would have been able to get the job done. Point I'm trying to make: If I could get away with this as a regular joe, SF can get away with whatever they feel comfortable in so the original poster could have something worn by an SFer in the Balkans conflict or maybe OWNED by an SFer, but never actually used except by his sons playing paintball war?

SOMAV was a company that was popular with SEALS on terms of totally custom vests, tailored for SEALS, theyre used by the SEALs, and is a popular modular vest, even if only a few were made, according to the Halberstadt book..heres a pic from specwargear

vest-somav-6.jpg

vest-somav-5.jpg

DBT is Diamond Back Tactical, a company that makes pouches and equipment for operators, there was a post related to the DBT's SAW ammo pouch dividers in the field gear forum :)

Eagle Industries made the Navy SEAL SOMAV (Special Operations Modular Assault Vest), this wasn't a seperate company.

I used to work with a bunch of ST6 guys and one sold me 3 team boxes full of gear. Included in this stuff was 2 sets of Eagle SOMAV gear and a bunch of other stuff-wish I had kept it.

I didn't know that Eagle Industries made the somav vest.... hmm wonder if they patented the particular modular panel retention system?