Mitchel Helmet Cover

Redralphy

Hi Everyone,

I have Just acquired this Mitchel helmet Cover and I was hoping to get your opinion on it. I think it is a little unusual as it has an FSA number and also "100% cotton" stamped on it??? I have several helmet covers and none have this this info stamped on to them. Any info at all would be really helpful. Thanks in advance. Ralph

20210616_203518.jpg

20210616_203441.jpg

CavalryCombatant

I believe it’s real and pretty early, a fellow forum member has this example.  

It was posted in this thread. 

image.jpeg

Thank you so much for the speedy reply. I have both books on the post war M1, by Mark Renosa,  but couldn't find this example in any of them. I'm always amazed at the amount of knowledge you guys on the forum have.

The Rooster

Redralphy

Looks like yours is

Contract No. 7057 Late 1964-Early 1965*

*Current discussion exists on the true date of these covers. Although the contract number dates these pieces to the mid 1960s, several of these models have the deep flap cuts suggesting they are of 1969 or slightly later production.

From

Thank you for the link. I have read all the comments and I'm still confused, as is everyone else judging by the controversy the date on this cover is causing.

Either way it's gonna look fantastic on my display.

Thanks again to everyone who was kind enough to respond to my question, as a newbie it really is fantastic to be able to call upon your expertise.

I've looked at hundreds of hours of footage and close to 1000 pictures from this era, January 1968 is the earliest I've ever seen a long flap helmet cover being used. 

It's possible the contract was awarded in 64 and 65 but production was later, possible during the big troop build up. The long flap cover is technically an updated design of the mitchell cover. If long flap covers were being produced in 1964 why did they continue to make short flaps until 1969? 1969 seems to be the cross over year (both long and short flaps covers can be found with 1969 dates) these contract marked undated long flap covers are the most common mitchell covers found today. 

Hi Justin

I guess really that my main worry was that I had bought a cover that was not actually Viet Nam period.

However, Thanks to your input,   I can now say without a doubt that this is definitely a Viet Nam "been there"....maybe? period Cover.

Many Thanks

Ralph

Hi Ralph, definitely a period cover, original bring back examples have been found, some with rock solid provenance with these covers on them. Was yours in South East Asia? Who knows, but it's definitely original and correct if you want to portray a combat used look. 

Thanks Justin. I live in the U.K. and it's really hard to find good viet nam stuff here.

So, to find an original piece is very satisfying for me. Thank you once again for your time and expertise it really is appreciated.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
2 hours ago, Justin said:

I've looked at hundreds of hours of footage and close to 1000 pictures from this era, January 1968 is the earliest I've ever seen a long flap helmet cover being used. 

It's possible the contract was awarded in 64 and 65 but production was later, possible during the big troop build up. The long flap cover is technically an updated design of the mitchell cover. If long flap covers were being produced in 1964 why did they continue to make short flaps until 1969? 1969 seems to be the cross over year (both long and short flaps covers can be found with 1969 dates) these contract marked undated long flap covers are the most common mitchell covers found today. 

Really Jan 68? That's pretty interesting since that would be a FY68 contract cover! The earliest documented "long flap" used in Vietnam I have seen is Oct 68 and the earliest photo I have seen is Nov 68.

22 minutes ago, Cap Camouflage Pattern I said:

Really Jan 68? That's pretty interesting since that would be a FY68 contract cover! The earliest documented "long flap" used in Vietnam I have seen is Oct 68 and the earliest photo I have seen is Nov 68.

Yes which is recently, but it could be an incorrect caption with wrong date, it was a Maine at Khe Sanh 1968, long flap cover clear as day. I will dig up the source.

The Oct 68 you are referring to is the cover Gunbunny (member) posted, correct?

Justin