Opinions on this Vietnam era m1 helmet?

Stepan12

3 hours ago, Stepan12 said:

Thank you so much! i could not find a clear answer on that. 

Do you know by any chance what production date the M-81A is? or in your case M-90 A?

Unfortunately I am unsure when it could have been made.

McCord manufactured shells from 1951 - 1958. Stamp example ("M-123A") I don't have access to all my helmets at the moment but I have around 30 50s McCords, I should check out each ones lot number, I have access to three and they are all marked with three digits. Motor Wheel Corp is another recently discovered post war shell manufacturer but it is believed to be a sub contractor by McCord. Stamp example ("MWA12") 50s McCords and Motor Wheel Corp shells are painted in the shame #319 shade color. Both types have OD green painted T1 hardware, no makings on the hardware, both / all have the "UC" stamp on the ball release. 

I believe one of the ones I saw on ebay was sold by a forum member here. Maybe they still have the photos. (It was just the shell and sold for around $130 IIRC)

The 4 examples I have seen (2 I own 2 on ebay) have all had the same style 2 digit lot #. Same unmarked blackended hardware straps, and the UC marking on the ball release. All 4 have / had rounded adjustable hardware on the long strap (like all 40s and 50s vintage shells) perhaps these are a small batch of subcontracted shells made during the very late 50s or very early 60s by McCord. The black paint on these shells clamps seem to "flake" off. Similar to how the OD on 50s McCords do. 

It's worth noting that McCord was issued a contract for shells in 1965. Example (M123 A1) I have only found these in M1C configurations. They have green clamps, and black anchor marked hardware. No UC on the ball, and the hardware on the long strap is sqaured off. 

The UC on the ball is not present on Ingersoll, Parish, or RJ stamping shells. Neither is rounded hardware on the long strap. 

10 hours ago, Justin said:

Unfortunately I am unsure when it could have been made.

McCord manufactured shells from 1951 - 1958. Stamp example ("M-123A") I don't have access to all my helmets at the moment but I have around 30 50s McCords, I should check out each ones lot number, I have access to three and they are all marked with three digits. Motor Wheel Corp is another recently discovered post war shell manufacturer but it is believed to be a sub contractor by McCord. Stamp example ("MWA12") 50s McCords and Motor Wheel Corp shells are painted in the shame #319 shade color. Both types have OD green painted T1 hardware, no makings on the hardware, both / all have the "UC" stamp on the ball release. 

I believe one of the ones I saw on ebay was sold by a forum member here. Maybe they still have the photos. (It was just the shell and sold for around $130 IIRC)

The 4 examples I have seen (2 I own 2 on ebay) have all had the same style 2 digit lot #. Same unmarked blackended hardware straps, and the UC marking on the ball release. All 4 have / had rounded adjustable hardware on the long strap (like all 40s and 50s vintage shells) perhaps these are a small batch of subcontracted shells made during the very late 50s or very early 60s by McCord. The black paint on these shells clamps seem to "flake" off. Similar to how the OD on 50s McCords do. 

It's worth noting that McCord was issued a contract for shells in 1965. Example (M123 A1) I have only found these in M1C configurations. They have green clamps, and black anchor marked hardware. No UC on the ball, and the hardware on the long strap is sqaured off. 

The UC on the ball is not present on Ingersoll, Parish, or RJ stamping shells. Neither is rounded hardware on the long strap. 

Wow, thats a lot of McCords you got there :)

Thanks for the information. it all makes sense now