Opinions on this Vietnam era m1 helmet?

Stepan12

There is no mark inside the shell. 

all i know is that the sweatband liner is dated 1969 and that the liner has a (W)103 mark inside it

Can anyone help me?

1.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

Liner looks good, a nice Westinghouse P55 liner.  

The shell’s hardware is a big concern, I don’t see any anchor stamps which would lead me to believe it’s later production, but I’ll let others  chime in as that’s not my forte.

The helmet band looks extremely think and I can say fairly confidently that it’s not USGI.

Does the cover have any markings? Should be on the fall side in one of the ears.

IMHO I would say it does look like a good lid.  Even with my concerns about the chinstraps I think it stands a very good chance at being legit.  At the end of the day I’d say the cover can make or break it, if it’s a legit cover then I’d say it’s a good set, if not I’d pass.

Just my two cents.

CC

i actually bought it already so i was hoping for some good news. This is the marking on the mitch cover.

16.jpeg

CavalryCombatant

1970 dated, so not quite a “combat used set” However, if the chinstraps are truly Unstamped (or more likely marked P for parish), the 1970 dated cover would be consistent. Looks like a good setup to me!   

Nice lid, one I’d be comfortable owning.

CC

9 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

1970 dated, so not quite a “combat used set” However, if the chinstraps are truly Unstamped (or more likely marked P for parish), the 1970 dated cover would be consistent. Looks like a good setup to me!   

Nice lid, one I’d be comfortable owning.

CC

Thank you for your reply. is there anyway i can find out if the chinstraps are parish? 

CavalryCombatant
2 minutes ago, Stepan12 said:

Thank you for your reply. is there anyway i can find out if the chinstraps are parish? 

I’m by no means an expert, but usually they are stamped with the letter P on the chinstrap (I don’t know how to describe it so see attached photo). It’d probably also be stamped on the metal clip somewhere, however I don’t have an example handy to compare to. 

D9B8C55E-4495-4452-952A-C909C26C1D8C.jpeg

1 minute ago, CavalryCombatant said:

I’m by no means an expert, but usually they are stamped with the letter P on the chinstrap (I don’t know how to describe it so see attached photo). It’d probably also be stamped on the metal clip somewhere, however I don’t have an example handy to compare to. 

Dang.. no marking guess we will never find out. thanks anyway for your replies! means a lot :)

The Rooster

Combat was still in progress in Vietnam, in 1970. It didnt end until 1975.

But the cover looks too fresh to have been used. Nice early 1960's westinghouse liner.

The steel..... Looks like maybe a front seam ww2 produced repurposed for 1960's service .

Looks like its got a stainless Rim ? Front seam ?

Looks like its still got its ww2 paint ?

Chin straps look okay 1960's.

Need a nape strap in the liner.

Maybe a chin strap if you can find one ?

If you want one on it.

Sometimes its an anchor on the buckle.

It def looks like ww2 steel  unless im imagining the stainles rim ??? repurped for later service in the 1960's or 70's

you never know. If its a front seam, then the heat number should be near by  on the rim above the seam..

But do not sand the paint to expose it. You shoud be able to see it.

Nice setup. And you have a name in the steel which is always cool !!!

Try with a flashlight and if nothing some baby powder to try and find a lot / heat number in the shell. 

If you notice the details on those chinstraps are early. (Rounded adjustment hardware on the long strap)(later production squared off and touch) also notice the UO marking on the quick release ball. (Not found on Ingersoll or Parish shells) 

I have 2 M1s in my collection with unmarked black hardware, same style hardware straps. Both marked with an M (2 digit number) (letter)

I also have a few M1C configurations with similar unmarked straps. 

guys i actually found 2 more things.

the ball release says UC2

and with some flashlight i found the stamp inside the shell (M 81 A) 

does this say anything?

CavalryCombatant
35 minutes ago, Stepan12 said:

guys i actually found 2 more things.

the ball release says UC2

and with some flashlight i found the stamp inside the shell (M 81 A) 

does this say anything?

the M #

CavalryCombatant

argh, did it again...

The M stamp should be a 1950’s mccord lot number if I’m not mistaken, so probably a reissue.  

5 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

argh, did it again...

The M stamp should be a 1950’s mccord lot number if I’m not mistaken, so probably a reissue.  

ahh, so it might be a korean war era m1 helmet? 

CavalryCombatant
26 minutes ago, Stepan12 said:

ahh, so it might be a korean war era m1 helmet? 

More then likely it was made during Korea, however as it was refit for service in the 1960’s I really wouldn’t call it a Korean War helmet. 

Again, just my 2 cents.

15 minutes ago, CavalryCombatant said:

More then likely it was made during Korea, however as it was refit for service in the 1960’s I really wouldn’t call it a Korean War helmet. 

Again, just my 2 cents.

all right man thank you!

The Rooster

Is it a front or rear seam? 

Maybe its your pictures but I see a stainless steel rim. Which means WW2 produced.

Am I just seeing things or is the rim shinny under the paint or not ?

Actually it might be a repurposed WW2 steel shell. Reissued for the 1960's.

When I was in the guard in the 80's, guys were issued WW2 lids with sewn on straps. They were still in the system.

They would get issued one of the old timers and cut the straps off and attached the last version chinstrap which just clipped on.

They re-used M1 helmets over and over again during 40 + years that they were used.

This one looks ww2 with 60's chin straps 60's liner and 1970 mitchell cover all appropriate for the vietnam war era.

But the steel.... front or back seam ? Stainless rim or Maganese non stainless rim... ?

Could you please get some pics ? Or at least confirm I am seeing things when I think I see stainless on the rim...

lol

The rim looks like it might be stainless in these two pics ?

Maybe its just the lighting ?

10.jpeg.fb42802e356be6f989b34c6b3faaf45b.jpeg

11.jpeg.fdff6c013521ffabbbec92a58430022e.jpeg

CavalryCombatant
2 hours ago, The Rooster said:

Maybe its your pictures but I see a stainless steel rim. Which means WW2 produced.

When I was in the guard in the 80's, guys were issued WW2 lids with sewn on straps. They were still in the system.

They would get issued one of the old timers and cut the straps off and attached the last version chinstrap which just clipped on.

They re-used M1 helmets over and over again during 40 + years that they were used.

This one looks ww2 with 60's chin straps 60's liner and 1970 mitchell cover all appropriate for the vietnam war era.

But the steel.... front or back seam ? Stainless rim or Maganese non stainless rim... ?

Could you please get some pics ? Or at least confirm I am seeing things when I think I see stainless on the rim...

lol

IMHO it appears to be a rear seam lid, if you look closely at the second picture you can make out just the faintest beginnings of a seam.  We can also see (thanks to the odd dot) that the shot is of the rear of the helmet.

I do see where you’re coming from on the stainless steel rim, I suspect it’s the lighting but I’ll let the OP chime in on that. 

7 hours ago, The Rooster said:

lol

10.jpeg.fb42802e356be6f989b34c6b3faaf45b.jpeg

11.jpeg.fdff6c013521ffabbbec92a58430022e.jpeg

Its a rear seam. Look i took some pictures of the paint

1F866DD4-BF76-4C59-8C9D-5C445CE55C51.jpeg

F55151D9-2A3C-4802-BFBA-8DAE7981C126.jpeg

4603EFA3-EF45-4C05-A53E-427C9B51D770.jpeg

On 6/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, CavalryCombatant said:

is this what you mean its a pic from an ebay listing

s-l1600.jpg

On 6/18/2021 at 3:47 AM, Stepan12 said:

Thanks for the reference but unfortunately it has nothing on it.   

Unmarked black hardware is correct for your shell. The UC mark on the ball should he the only marking. 

I have 2 in my collection, and I have seen 2 on ebay in the last year, all had the same type straps, all marked with an M 2 digit number and a letter. 

One of mine is marked "M 90 A" 

The other is buried somewhere and has its original mitchell cover still on it. 

I'll try to get pictures of one of mine up.

52 minutes ago, Justin said:

Unmarked black hardware is correct for your shell. The UC mark on the ball should he the only marking. 

I have 2 in my collection, and I have seen 2 on ebay in the last year, all had the same type straps, all marked with an M 2 digit number and a letter. 

One of mine is marked "M 90 A" 

The other is buried somewhere and has its original mitchell cover still on it. 

I'll try to get pictures of one of mine up.

Thank you so much! i could not find a clear answer on that. 

Do you know by any chance what production date the M-81A is? or in your case M-90 A?