WW2 duffle bag markings

HardWay

It's been a very long time since I last posted (although I'm always lurking & learning), but I have a question today I hope someone can help me with:

I have my father's duffle bag from WW2, and am curious about some markings on it. Hopefully the picture I've attached explains itself. "RE  7947-L" has been spray painted on (in both white and black colored paint), along with a white "C".

I seem to recall reading somewhere that when the troops were returning from overseas, their "luggage" (footlockers, duffles, etc.) was often ID'd with certain codes for shipping/logistical purposes, and perhaps that's what this is -- however the "C" throws me off that theory a little bit. Were markings like this also made when they made their outbound trip? The reason I wonder is because Dad was in C Battery (839th AAA) when he first went over, but the 839th was disbanded shortly after VE day; Dad spent the next few months bouncing around different units until he had enough points to come home -- and by the time he did, I believe he was in D battery (796th AAA).

Any information or insights would be appreciated.  Thanks!9b78893794080aac76add633fb091524.jpg