ALICE Pack Issue Date

tk1976

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knows when Alice packs began to be issued? I know they can be found with dates as early as 1974, although they don’t really seem to appear in any pictures I’ve seen of soldiers stationed in Germany during the mid to late 70s. Only Alice gear seems to be pretty prevalent around that time.

I was in the 82nd ABN when we received Medium ALICE packs in 1975 or 76. I was issued a Large ALICE in 5th SFGA in 1978, which they probably had earlier than that date.   At that time, they did not have the nice padded waist band, but a crappy nylon one with a spring inside that sawed into your back when you walked. Still have the medium.  SKIP

20210618_113741 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, SKIPH said:

I was in the 82nd ABN when we received Medium ALICE packs in 1975 or 76. I was issued a Large ALICE in 5th SFGA in 1978, which they probably had earlier than that date.   At that time, they did not have the nice padded waist band, but a crappy nylon one with a spring inside that sawed into your back when you walked. Still have the medium.  SKIP

20210618_113741 (2).jpg

Thank you Rhscott and SKIPH. Wow incredible that you kept it all these year!

On 6/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, SKIPH said:

20210618_113741 (2).jpg

Those old waist pads and straps had like a turnbuckle in them didnt they?  I think they had like 3 variants of ALICE wait belt, that early style, later better padded version with the LC-1 type plastic buckles and then a later version similar but had the LC-2 black Fastex buckles.  The FM covering field gear always showed the old style it seemed.

mohawkALSE- The ALICE did have a turnbuckle, this one stripped out due to weight I guess, and I field repaired it with 550 cord. I think you should be able to see the bolts in the pictures.  Keep in mind this was a repair I made 45 years ago.  SKIP

20210619_175010.jpg

20210619_175026.jpg