Help ID This Bag/Pouch Appears To Be WWI?

Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Help ID This Bag/Pouch Appears To Be WWI?  Does anyone know if it is military and if so what is it's purpose/use?  Many thanks!

DSC08002.JPG

DSC08003.JPG

DSC08004.JPG

DSC08005.JPG

DSC08006.JPG

DSC08007.JPG

I'm fairly sure that's a US WWI gas mask bag. I think the British one was similar but used brass snaps instead of the dot fasteners. It looks like it's in solid shape. I wonder what Bobby used it for.

Panzerfaust
27 minutes ago, hzamar said:

I'm fairly sure that's a US WWI gas mask bag. I think the British one was similar but used brass snaps instead of the dot fasteners. It looks like it's in solid shape. I wonder what Bobby used it for.

Hello hazmar,

Many thanks?  Would you happen to know what the small rope is used for?  It appears to be original to the bag.

I believe the rope is the waist tie to keep the bag and mask from flopping around while worn in a shoulder carry. There's an empty metal square on the opposite side from the tie cord and that's the other tie-in point. The WWII training mask bag has the same rope tie cord. 

Croix de Guerre
8 hours ago, hzamar said:

Bobby could've stored anything from ham hocks to guitar strings in that thing.  I remember seeing bins of them for sale at the local Army/Navy surplus store in the 70's. 

• 1 month later...