M1903A3 Smith Corona Sniper Rifle Question?

derrbrad

Were WW2 production Smith Corona 1903a3 rifles produced as sniper variants? And if so is there a serial number block for these? Everything I’m seeing is that it was only Remington making the 1903a3/a4 and not smith corona. That smith corona made only the standard 1903a3. 

Also is the conversion of a smith corona rifle something that might have been done at an arsenal after the war?

thanks

Charlie Flick

D:

What you have heard is correct.  The only newly manufactured M1903A4 sniper rifles were those made by Remington.  

As to whether a "conversion" of a S-C postwar into a sniper might have occurred, I suppose anything is possible.  However, after WW2 there was no shortage of M1903A4 sniper rifles.  Indeed, the U.S. military was swiftly moving towards the sniper versions of the M1 Garand so any time, effort and funds expended in converting S-C M1903s into A4s would not have been likely, in my estimation.   In the absence of any supporting military documentation a Smith Corona seen today that has been so converted is, in my opinion, almost certainly a civilian concoction.

HTH.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks.

It makes sense. A friend was offered a SC that is setup like an a4 and I was leery. The books I have just don't support the idea of it being original(even though the guy is claiming it is) and from the 1 very fuzzy picture I was sent made me dubious as well. Can't seem to get him to supply clear pics of markings to support anything one way or the other.