US NAVY JACKET & SUB PATCH? HELP NEEDED

PAX Blue

I recently had the opportunity to purchase this jacket from a trusted dealer, however I know nothing about it. No info on the original owner unfortunately- only a tag and a patch to go on. 

I have seen the term 'deck jacket' thrown around a lot and I assume it is more of a colloquial term than a regulations one and that it may refer to a number of different US Navy jacket models. 

Can anyone help me identify this jacket and any other specific information from the info on the tag?

Does anyone recognize the patch and what it may signify? 

Would love to know if the jacket and the patch are contemporary to one another. If this is the wrong forum for this type of request, I apologize. Just let me know and I will course correct. 

sQCwo%YQRSiBec3srl1DVQ.jpg

r0qCb3KLRhiSEIQ59CidLA.jpg

S4NQXrZwSx6w6FXkwEwI3Q.jpg

Submarine Division 9-228 is located at the Brodhead Naval Armory in Detroit, MI.

USS Michigan (SSBN-727) - This submarine's motto is Tuebor which means "I will defend".

Sorry, I don't know enough about the uniform to tell you anything about that.  Hopefully someone will know.

Salvage Sailor

In USN parlance, this is a 'work jacket' vs. a deck jacket which is OD green, not black or blue.

The jacket is older (Cold War/early Vietnam era) than the Japanese made patch which is from the USS MICHIGAN (SSBN-727), now reclassified as SSGN-727, Submarine Division 9-228.  'Tuebor' is their motto, "I will defend", from their Cold War Ballistic Missile deterrent service

Salvage Sailor

Here's the accurate ID on the Patch - Naval Reserve, Michigan.

Submarine Reserve Division 9-228 located at the Brodhead Naval Armory in Detroit.

I'd wager that the original owner of the work (utility) jacket finished up his reserve obligation (USNR) at the Detroit Armory.

Thanks for all the great info on the Submarine Reserve Division 9-228 and the USS MICHIGAN (SSBN-727).

Since it is a more recent vessel, I'm now assuming the jacket and the patch may not be contemporary to one another. The label in the jacket doesn't look 1980's to me if that's when the patch is from. I may be inclined to remove the patch depending on the age of the jacket. 

Is there a better forum for me to connect with someone about work jackets and how to date them? All suggestions appreciated !

ludwigh1980

The patch looks contemporary to the age of the jacket. I would not remove it as I think it adds greatly to the jacket's desirability. 

2 hours ago, ludwigh1980 said:

The patch looks contemporary to the age of the jacket. I would not remove it as I think it adds greatly to the jacket's desirability. 

Any details on how we can prove that, would love to know so I can learn. Any good books that outline these jackets like the Maguire books are to flight jackets?

Salvage Sailor
3 hours ago, ludwigh1980 said:

+1

I believe the jacket and patch are the same age and it's not related to the SSBN as I previously posted, only to Submarine Reserve Division 9-228

10 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

+1

I believe the jacket and patch are the same age and it's not related to the SSBN as I previously posted, only to Submarine Reserve Division 9-228

That makes much more sense to me. If it was related to that SSBN, it would have the number on the patch. As mentioned above "Tuebor" is not part of the state of Michigan's motto, however it is on top of the Great Seal and State Flag of Michigan. So the fact that it appears on this patch is a reference to the State of Michigan where the Armory and Sub Division were located and not to a later vessel. 

It looks like the Brodhead Naval Armory is falling apart and has been looted a lot in recent years, look it up for some really depressing photos of crumbling naval architecture and history. 

All I can find about Submarine Reserve Divisions in general is that, (according to Wikipedia) "Reserve submarine divisions also existed after World War II." So that may be an uphill climb to research...

Salvage Sailor

Excerpt from Judge O'Meara's biographical news article

O’Meara graduated from high school in 1951 and enrolled at the University of Notre Dame on a ROTC (Reserve Officers’ Training Corps) scholarship. He was an English major whose walk-on football career ended after he was knocked out on the second day of scrimmage. A top student who was honored for academic and leadership skills, O’Meara spent his summers on naval duty. He also worked as part-time announcer and program manager at the college radio station and supplemented his income by selling health insurance.

Upon receiving a Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1955, O’Meara spent four years on active duty in the U.S. Navy – most of it aboard submarines. He was an engineering officer aboard the USS Barbero – the Navy’s first guided missile submarine – and was one of two officers who carried keys to arm the boat’s two hydrogen bomb missiles.

After completing active duty, he transferred to the Navy Reserve, where he would eventually attain the rank of Commanding Officer of the U.S. Naval Submarine Division 9-228 at the Brodhead Naval Armory in Detroit until he was honorably discharged in 1973.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 9:34 AM, cagedfalcon said:

This is what they look like.7bc552447a3916cde343ae9c500f6656.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hi nice! Is this yours?