At last, a salty Mitchell for my M1C!

CavalryCombatant

CavalryCombatant

As the tittle suggests I’ve been looking for a good cover to match this M1C I got locally, for quite some time.  It of course hasn’t been my soul priority, but definitely one of those “I need to get one someday” items.  And, thanks to a forum member, I was able to finally fill that gap!

That brings me to the topic of my post, the actual cover.  

It’s a 1969 dated Mitchell, which has obviously been through the ringer. (The photos don’t do it justice, it looks more sun bleached in person.) Ive had a bit of a hard time wrestling the cover into place, and lining up all the tears and wear to where I’d imagine they would sit on the brim of the helmet, and after about half an hour I’m still not really satisfied with how it sits, but It’ll have to work until I can really sit down and get it right.

On the front it’s marked “E-6ix” which I suspect indicates the paygrade E6, but I’d love to other’s input on that.  On both sides it’s also lettered with what I believe to be the owner’s initials, but again I could be way off base.  

The helmet shell itself is a lower lot number ingersoll with anchor marked M1C chinstraps.  The liner is too faded for me to make out the date on, but I suspect to be from the late 1960’s

The airborne chincup is unfortunately not original to the set, and as a result appears way newer the the rest of the lid. 

(I realized as I was writing this that I forgot to get photos around the back and sides of the cover, I’ll try to get them tomorrow if I remember)

Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy!
CC

And with all that out of the way, let’s get to the good part, the photos.

CE9FDEA6-8796-4CC3-8C15-620A532BDA4B.jpeg

B923D820-F3E9-4BDC-8B9A-C1A75D3E9ACA.jpeg

A656D509-B7E6-4C16-AAB0-5EA3611E6FB8.jpeg

CavalryCombatant
17 minutes ago, Justin said:

Very nice looking set up there! 

Thanks! I’m really happy with how it turned out.

12 minutes ago, Radio Operator said:

Great looking set! I like your use of the stand to show off the two chinstraps.

Thank you, it adds a nice depth to it for sure!

CavalryCombatant
17 minutes ago, Paddyd00 said:

Nice background too mate.  Nice lid!

Z

Thanks man!  Funny enough, it’s on a paper towel holder I found thanks to your suggestion in my one p

CavalryCombatant

Dang nabbit, finger slipped and sent while I was typing!  Meant to say “in my prior thread.”

Also thank you all who’ve commented, I really appreciate all the kind words!