Knob Creek MG Shoot To End After 50 Years

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

I have been informed that the famous Knob Creek, Kentucky Machine Gun Shoot is going to end after 50 years.  The owners say that the October 8-9, 2021 Shoot will be the last one.  

I regard this as sad news as this event was the largest civilian MG and military weapon shoot in the USA.  Especially memorable was the night shoot with multiple belt fed MGs shooting tracers.

Knob Creek MG Shoot Announcement Oct 2021.jpg

Knob Creek MG Shoot Announcement Oct 2021 b.jpg

Knob Creek Shoot line up credit TTAG.jpg

Knob Creek tracers.jpg

I live right down the road from there and have never been. Might have to try and make it this year

silverplate

I live in KY and have been several times. Always memorable, and the vendor sale tables usually had a few hidden gems. I will not miss that last weekend. Sad and disappointed to see it end. Here's a small video clip from my last visit.

I attended my first KCR Machine Gun Shoot in 1978 and, with some exceptions, have attended at least once each year since. I was very sorry to hear of it ending.

• 1 month later...

Except for weather or COVID cancelations I have not missed a show in well over 15 years.  For past ten years I have been a vendor at the show.  For those of us heavy into collecting MGs and MG accessories the show has been dying a slow death for a number of years and the family has been trying to reduce the number of shows for the past several years.  The elimination of Sunday from the line up was a compromise with the vendors when the family wanted to cut the show to once a year.  For me KC was a great show to network with other collectors more so than a place to find items for my collection.  While I will miss visiting with friends at KC I will not miss the mud, heat/cold, rain, ice and dust that was often a feature of the show.

Now for the rumor, at SOS speaking with Ed Hope, who puts on the Big Sandy shoot in AZ, he mentioned there is some talk of a promoter bringing the KC vendor show to another venue in the area.  Personally I feel this is much more rumor than fact but time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

This is sad news, I have been to at least a dozen shows and they are really as great time. Met some great people, purchased some great items. Took my first ride in a helicopter there. Was an ideal location for such a venue. Hopefully someone will pick up and carry on.