How or where on uniform was the metal Marine Iceland badge worn

mortaydc60

Pretty easy and basic question. Worn on sleve where cloth patch was worn or on shoulders? Know that the left and right are not same. Thanks for any help or even photo of wearing.Again thanks.

Mort

Wanted to post one of the badges as a reference. These are pretty rare and remember the left and right are NOT mirror images of each other.

Mort

IMG_1772.JPG

Gorgeous and indeed rare. I have three of the documented “types” of the polar bear patch but this one eludes me. Thanks for sharing.

Perhaps rare but practically unwanted. I could barely give away the ones I have had in the past. 

I must say I've never before seen a metal bear on one of these patches, and I've been looking at this stuff for decades.  Are these documented?

Steve

They are documented as a known type worn by the Marines in Scott Smiths Iceland Marines reference. They don’t come up often. 

• 2 months later...

The above photo is an old photo from my collection. It has grown larger now. As for anyone´s "doubt" if

the metal bears are legit or not....they are...100% 

I have 3 original wartime photos in my collection, showing them in use. Not only by USMC, but have one

photo of a British troop wearing them, supporting the rumor that these were possibly theater made in Iceland.

Regards

Hinrik

USMC Ice.jpg

USMC Ice2.jpg

My late grandmother told me a story that when she was young during the war, she and her friends

made money by cleaning the troops clothing., and to hand sew polar bear patches for them. This is

what I think is one of these hand made sets:

DSC00088.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 8/27/2021 at 8:07 PM, Hinrik WD said:

The above photo is an old photo from my collection. It has grown larger now. As for anyone´s "doubt" if

I have 3 original wartime photos in my collection, showing them in use. Not only by USMC, but have one

photo of a British troop wearing them, supporting the rumor that these were possibly theater made in Iceland.

Regards

Hinrik

USMC Ice.jpg

USMC Ice2.jpg

How in God's name did I miss this phenomenal portrait??!? Stunning!

• 7 months later...
Jean-Francois M. Rault

Hinrik WD, Thank you for sharing that old picture of the Gunny, and thank you to everyone else for those great pictures too.   I am new to the group, and this is my first post.  I was first cruising around for a bit, looking at all the tons of different and great topics there are.  I finally saw this "Iceland" topic, and was immediately interested !!  Wow, to say the least.   Questions, cultivated answers, pictures, great conversation about the topic at hand.   I didn't even know the USMC had anything to do with Iceland ( Duh !  Of course WW2).  Glad I am still learning at 58yrs of age.  I am def. going to look up this topic.  Finally, Thank you guys.  Glad this was the first post that I read in this forum. I am also very glad that I finally found a source of entertainment, making more sense to me, than all these Social Medias, and Horrible TV (Just my silly opinion) that there is to watch.  I look forward to perusing around, learning more about so many topics, and getting around to meet good people.  Have a great day or evening . Semper Fi.    PS. (Wow, if you made it this far, amazing. lol ).   I just wanted to let people know, that I don't usually write this long ??  

Iceland1stSgt

Henrik, Great to see you are still engaged on the Iceland Marines topic!  Sveinn and his family visited us last summer.

Andy Bradshaw, 1stSgt USMC (Ret.), Marine Corps Security Force Company, Iceland 1998-2000.

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2021 at 8:07 PM, Hinrik WD said:

Regards

Hinrik

USMC Ice.jpg

USMC Ice2.jpg

This portrait is a treat every time I see it

Old Marine

Hello Jean,

Welcome Aboard.  This forum is a great place to learn, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and the members are generous with sharing their knowledge, resources and experiences.  The moderators also do an excellent job at keeping the forum civil and in order.