Luxenberg of NY, NY: examples and patterns

Here are some new pics after a mild bath. I learned that the light box works better I think than outdoor shots. In the first image, you can see the small scrape on the shield here three stripes left from the right side of shield. It is linear and crosses two of the stripes in the shield with some very light surface scratches so I am pretty certain it was just scraped in wear or sometime over the years. 

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1596.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1598.JPG

It sure looks good to me.  I suspect the pin is a replacement as Marty pointed out.  From what I can see, it looks very nice.  Compares well with mine.  These wings were not mirror finished and there are some digs and dots that show up.

Thanks Marty so much for the contributions. I have checked out the ones on Bobs site, that is a great reference. These measure exactly 3 1/16 inches wing tip to wing tip. I gave them a light wash and am really happy with the results. The specks went away and there was more grime than I realized trapped in the crevasses. I am pleased with the results and the tarnish for the most part remains but it is a more appealing wing now for sure. I might try a couple more pics with different lighting. Your explanation of the replacement pin makes sense. Would have taken some talent to get it right, but I bet that was what was done. Bummed about the pin replacement but feeling more confident with the wing. Thanks again.

8 minutes ago, pfrost said:

It sure looks good to me.  I suspect the pin is a replacement as Marty pointed out.  From what I can see, it looks very nice.  Compares well with mine.  These wings were not mirror finished and there are some digs and dots that show up.

Thanks again, I know you guys know your stuff and I sure appreciate your help! 

Hello all,

What are your opinions of this example? Looks good to me, but with Luxenbergs I’m prone to tread carefully (added to which the photos are not the best).

0488df0088610180c670e195bd9aac72.jpeg

Looks good to me although the pictures aren't doing it any favors.  That frosting on the back is always nice to see.  One tip with Luxenbergs is to study the actual Luxenberg hallmark.  That cursive script at the top tends to react very poorly when people make cast versions of the wings.  This example has a little extra flashing on one tip and a little discoloration on the other tip but it looks like an authentic example.  

Thanks, Bob. Great to get a second opinion from someone much more knowledgeable than I on these potentially problematic wings.

• 2 weeks later...

Received these wings today. Definitely original in hand, so I’m very happy at getting my first Luxenberg.

What appeared to be flashing on the left wingtip in the above photos is a dink where the wings were perhaps dropped at some point. Other than that, it’s a lovely example.

Thanks again for the second opinion!

• 2 years later...
5thwingmarty

Here is my set of Luxenberg Pilot Wings. The first is the pattern I think is most often referred to as a Type-1.  The next is the Blackinton pattern.  The third is an AECo pattern wing that had the shield from a Type-1 pattern wing applied to it.  Fourth is an AECo pattern wing which has the clearly defined feathers on the inner row.  Last is another different AECo pattern wing that has the very softly indicated inner feather row.  I know there is at least one more different pattern of Pilot Wing out there that was marked as a Luxenberg.

Lux Pilot-1 front.JPG

Lux Pilot-1 rear.JPG

Lux Pilot-2 front.JPG

Lux Pilot-2 rear.JPG

Lux Pilot-3 front.JPG

Lux Pilot-3 rear.JPG

Lux Pilot-4 front.JPG

Lux Pilot-4 rear.JPG

Lux Pilot-5 front.JPG

Lux Pilot-5 rear.JPG

• 2 months later...

I got up early(ish) and went to the flea market this morning.  Found this very nice Luxenberg wing....

On one hand, I hate to see them damaged like this, but I do love the salty wings.  Someone wore the heck out of this beauty and then looks like he did some repair with a bit of a DIY soldering job.

71666184383__0BFC989D-83E0-4680-8AF3-506A489A748E.HEIC.jpeg

71666185509__A8AC127C-93F3-40BF-BAB0-567C51D57C57.HEIC.jpeg

With numerous current TV commercials telling us all to invest in Silver, it looks like Patrick can’t go wrong with this very nice addition to his collection!!!