Thoughts on this US M1903 Mills cartridge belt...legit or repro?

fireman1

I recently picked up this US m1903 cartridge belt.  When I saw it online it looked good to but when I got it in hand I had some concerns.

I'm thinking that this might be a repro from What Price Glory although that stuff is usually well marked.  I cannot find a decent picture of the WPG belt to compare.

The belt has seen use/been washed.  There is fading, wear and staining on the webbing.

There is wear on the Eagle snaps and buckle.  Either through use or an aging process.   I think there should me more wear on teh painted parts.

I think the leather chape should be more worn and aged.  It is in good shape....maybe too good.  There are some faint letters stamped on the leather.  They are not W.P.G.

As you can see, the actual snaps are new and either replaced or it is a repro.  

Weight and texture of the webbing seem correct but this is the only original pre ww1 US web belt that I own so I have nothing to compare it to.

>>One thing that leads me to thing that this is not a WPG belt is WPG describes theirs as have the tapered ends on the belt.

The original listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164870864616

Here are some pics I took.

Please let me know what you think.  I would appreciate specifics if it is a repro so I can avoid this in the future.

Thanks!

20210609_175716.jpg

20210609_175654.jpg

20210609_175555.jpg

20210609_175536.jpg

20210609_175647.jpg

20210609_175600.jpg

20210609_175540.jpg

20210609_175543.jpg

20210609_175634.jpg

Charlie Flick

Does it say Mills on it anywhere?  If not, then I don't think it was a Mills product.  Perhaps made by Russell.  Mills was proprietary and very careful to mark their products.

Even so, it looks good to me and in my opinion it is legit and not a WPG or other reproduction.

Regards,

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your input on this.  It is not marked Mills anywhere.  I was worried about that because I did not realize that Russell made these also.  

Thanks 

Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Hi from France .

Your belt is all original and correct, have exactly a same , its Russel manufacturing , snap is use by this manufacturer and , the lower of pocket is close by an sewing , rather Mills .

Best regards 

Richard 

1 hour ago, crassou54 said:

Hi from France .

Your belt is all original and correct, have exactly a same , its Russel manufacturing , snap is use by this manufacturer and , the lower of pocket is close by an sewing , rather Mills .

Best regards 

Richard 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Blacksmith said:

Hard to fake verdigris.

True, it was how shiny the brass snaps are that threw me.

• 4 weeks later...