Not your everyday P-4A...

Wayward Son

Wayward Son

This XL November, 1957 produced Gentex P-4A came from a suburb Tampa, FL. I don't have any history on the helmet other than it was an estate sale find and was in pretty filthy condition when it arrived in my hands. It could have lineage to nearby MacDill AFB and SAC B-47's, but that is just a guess. I was unable to locate a pilot name or any other distinguishing markings.

After a cleaning of dirt, dust and spiderwebs, and replacement of the missing visor action springs, things turned out pretty well. I really enjoy the patina on this one. It still has that fantastic light greasy / jet fuel aroma, and scratches and dings telling a story of honest use during the tense Cold War days. 

20210612_125916.jpg.58585300c5296ba9d0f460a19725cd46.jpg

20210612_130206.jpeg

20210612_130051.jpg

141028-F-XX000-999.jpeg

Jolly good score indeed !!

The wonderful blue stripe + stars artwork on the back could definitely be SAC-related as you stated (it obviously reminds the diagonal stripe painted on the SAC bombers' noses of this era).

However, the checkered pattern on the visor's top and the presence of shooting stars on the back makes me think we shall not exclude some of the century fighters like the F-101 / F-102 / F-106 that sported that kind of very colorful tail markings.

Found a B-47 P-4A at March Field Museum near L.A. for comparison purpose, for what it's worth 😉.

Anyway, it's a gorgeous piece of flight gear, love the patina, you've cleaned it up very well !

- Gauthier

Great helmet. Kave a soft spot for the early Jet age items. 

Is it possible to maybe tie in the black and white checker design on visor band to a unit/squadron?