Unknown piece

Tonomachi

rathbonemuseum.com

900 is a non-US (european) silver purity mark. Essentially pure silver. As to what the image is, that is the logo of the 93rd Aero Squadron. As to whether this is an original squadron piece or something made later, I can't tell you. Findings with the large drop-catch make me thinking of 1919-early 20s. And is 3 part construction. But details look very soft and hard to judge in pictures as appears cast and then assembled. I am hoping that @CliffP or @cwnormahas a more definitive answer.

Cheers

Tod

I appreciate the info as it is sitting on a table for sale as an unknown so I think I will take a chance. 

Tread carefully. If you look through the fakes thread you will see that pattern of wings showing up on a LOT of fantasy wings

Patrick is absolutely correct to say tread carefully, and not only about that pattern of wings being a product of someone's imagination. 

That design for the Indian head logo has been faked for decades as being the same design found on original 93rd Aero Squadron pins

but nothing could be farther from the truth. 

I only just now saw this.  I'm afraid I can't add anything beyond what has already been said-beyond that this particular badge (or one exceedingly similar) is still for sale and can be purchased on line.

Chris

Well it looks like based on what everyone is saying that I bought a fake piece. I had to make a decision at a badge show today and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. 

It is also "Cast" rather then die struck.  Very common in fakes these days.  There is a particular persons "W........Gallery" shop that sells cast silver copies and fantasy pieces like this.