HOW COMMON ARE YELLOW PAINTED ONE PIECE CAST TRAINING GRENADES

6th.MG.BN

I have owned two of these over the course of 20 years. The first one I got and sold around 20 years ago was painted all yellow. This second one was painted half-way yellow and after use has most of the yellow paint left in the recessesDSC01380.JPG.968966da9b44ccb77002cbe3d8b52060.JPG.

I can't remember seeing any others, although I'm sure there has to be more. Anyone else have one?

Interested in hearing if other members have any?

Ken

DSC01372.JPG

DSC01373.JPG

DSC01374.JPG

DSC01376.JPG

DSC01375.JPG

DSC01378.JPG

With very little to none TM information about that era of color coding, your piece would in my opinion be a rarity. Maybe done at the unit level, no telling but a keeper.

I remember seeing a box of these with various colors at the local Army-Navy Store in the 1970's

Bill

Thanks 917601 and Bill. It's interesting to say the least. Same color yellow paint you find on the MKII grenades.

Ken

I think they were originally supposed to be painted black. It's possible that the unit using them painted them the way you have so they would be easier to find and pick up for re-use. Mk 2 type live grenades were painted solid yellow until about mid-ww2 when they were them made OD with a yellow stripe where the fuze screws in. There are photos of guys in the field spray painting yellow grenades OD to aid camouflage.