Removing Velcro Strips From A Painted Purple Heart and other Medals

Gerradtgrant

Gerradtgrant

As the title states, I recently bought a historically significant medal group, and most of the medals have a velcro strip on the back. Need ideas on how to safely remove the Velcro without damaging the medels. My biggest concern is the painted Purple Heart. I would assume some of you medal collectors have encountered this before, and hopefully successfully! My first thought was low heat and very slowly pulling it off, then I have to tackle the adhesive! Please advise!!!

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

The reverse of the Purple Heart shouldn't be painted, so you really don't have anything to worry about there. :)

Velcro is actually quite easy to remove. Typically, I'd just carefully take it off with a fingernail and "roll" the adhesive off, but it can also be easily removed with a hairdryer on a low setting, which will cause the adhesive to loosen. 

Gerradtgrant
The reverse of the Purple Heart shouldn't be painted, so you really don't have anything to worry about there. :)

Velcro is actually quite easy to remove. Typically, I'd just carefully take it off with a fingernail and "roll" the adhesive off, but it can also be easily removed with a hairdryer on a low setting, which will cause the adhesive to loosen. 

Awesome, thank you for the quick response. Right in line with what I was thinking. Sounds like it should not be to hard of an endeavor, I was dreading potentially harming the medals.

Gerradtgrant

Came off with ease, barely any residue if any left on most of the medals. Seems to have stained the WWII victory medal, I will just leave it as is.