WWII USN FIXED LOOP SALTY OLD DOG w HAWLEY 3RD PATTERN

Paddyd00

Hi Guys

Here’s a crusty old coot I picked up. I just liked the look of it and I feel like I see less and less of these USN Fixed Loops available so I try to snap them up at auctions / estate sales / etc. Also this one has its original OD3 straps Intact which is nice. Many old Navies seem to have lost / ripped one. I paired it with a salty old original Hawley as well found on eBay (my guess defintely used by kids goofing around in the 50/60s or something. Assorted holes punched through side/ writing / etc). It’s not in great shape. I made an offer. He accepted. Wasn't my best deal but wasn’t my worst. Some markings stenciled on the liner appear they could be original though. Says “Sabrina” (?) on front “Watch” on back. “St Paul” on side. Unfortunately No serial number for me to research unfortunately. All in All I think it has a great look despite condition.

The light blue steel pot has “4” painted in black and faded on front. The lot number is rusted out and unreadable. Has early raised Brass Buckle and J Hook. 

I always wanted a early Navy / Hawley set and thought that these would go great together... and they do :)  Little did I know I would find a real matching set a few days later (To be posted).

Pardon the Macro shots ...still getting used to the lens.

Thanks for looking!

Z

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4A.jpg

5.jpg

7REV.jpg

8REV.jpg

16REV.jpg

17.jpg

17A.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

6.jpg

30REV.jpg

@ArchangelDM

Good Thoughts D.  I wonder ... or Maybe a Paul Sabrina is the name.  Eureka .. I should start there.  Unsure if he was a Navy man but be interesting to see! Thanks for the ideas!

@MAP1You had to be MAP1 here? Sacrilege! Good eye.  Either that or a really faded Gray perhaps ... I think both were used.  This one def spent some time on a Ship.  Alot of it from the looks! Thanks Mike

Z

1 minute ago, Paddyd00 said:

@ArchangelDM

Good Thoughts D.  I wonder ... or Maybe a Paul Sabrina is the name.  Eureka .. I should start there.  Unsure if he was a Navy man but be interesting to see! Thanks for the ideas!

@MAP1You had to be MAP1 here? Sacrilege! Good eye.  Either that or a really faded Gray perhaps ... I think both were used.  This one def spent some time on a Ship.  Alot of it from the looks! Thanks Mike

Z

MAP was already taken when I signed up...argggg..😠💀   I mean come on...there is really only one MAP known the world over! LoL

Great helmet! What was that saying again? “If it’s not from the Sea ..... then it isn’t for me”

Radio Operator

Great helmet! The liner and helmet go very well together, also those close up shots are cool to see. 

4 minutes ago, Radio Operator said:

Great helmet! The liner and helmet go very well together, also those close up shots are cool to see. 

Thanks S! Appreciate it dude

(I think its you ... same avatar :) and an awesome one FYI...wouldnt mind that framed in my house)

23 minutes ago, M24 Chaffee said:

Great looking patina on this set!

Frank

Thanks Frank! and Doyler. I love these “artifact of war” vibes some of these oldsters have. 

i definitely gotta get an original us navy m1, those things look nice, although the old liners always look oversized when in the helmet to me