Half Sized Division SSI, Why? Use?

PATCHRAT

Posting these for a friend.    Four WWII-era patches that appear to be U.S.-made, but they are about half size.  would like to know if anyone has seen these before or have other like them? Also what possible use they may have had.  Any additional info is welcome.

First picture is of the Four SSI  the second picture shows the 17th Div  with some other normal sized known patches to show the relative size.

Half-size patches.jpg

recent stuff.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

Can we see photos of the backs? The signals glider looks normal. The 6th Marine...is that Japanese made? The 4th Infantry Division looks very modern. 

Just now, Airborne-Hunter said:

Can we see photos of the backs? The signals glider looks normal. The 6th Marine...is that Japanese made? The 4th Infantry Division looks very modern. 

AH, member posted the the small 17th Abn Div patch along with those others to show the tiny size in comparison, all those are normal size patches 1158214950_emoticonsmile.png.b691f1fab0d2f10750265b22b8dcd1d1.png

2 hours ago, Albert said:

For wear on ascots?

I was inclined to think this as well, but seeing that both the 13th and 17th Abn Divs were not active after WWII these would not of been worn on a scarf, maybe collectors pieces, maybe vet pieces??? But then what little photographic evidence where a shoulder patch is worn on a scarf,, they are full size ones, it's the DI pocket patch types for the most part that are minis it seems.

I think they are reproductions of full size patches.What they were used for is another story.They did make smaller patches in WW2 but they were theater made ie: the half size 509th Gingerbread man for the cuff.If after 40 years and the  number of patches I have owned sold and saw in collections I think it is safe to say they might be a new run of fantasy collector copies.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reminded of this post I made several years ago where I found a mini 26th Infantry Division patch being worn. The patch in this case looks English made, and Bill Keller the Army Patches Book author added his input with this.

485637927_post-34986-0-29920500-1361940221(1).jpg.469e02a8f716fb1f58232eb6c4f36278.jpg

av-359.jpg.af9325237fd1d70cf743c08b57247bac.jpgMember Bill K

Posted February 27, 2013

It looks like it's one of these. English made, about 2.5 inches by 2 inches, much smaller than your standard 26th. Funny, I always thought this might be a cap patch. Now we know otherwise! Very cool.

Regards,

Bill

post-359-0-41866400-1361952094.jpg.3a08ff537264d1a412a2338bb6ebe898.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple 1/5 ish size subdued 101st patches I bought near Ft. Campbell. They were just cool to have and looked cool on things like notebooks or some people put them on hats to wear around or jacket pocket flaps.

Perhaps these are similar?