USMC hanger vs army hanger on web gear

ncweo

This is a typical USMC type M1910 hanger:

ktrbeurs250307005uk6.th.jpg

While this is an Army type M1910 hanger:

post-599-1180537580.jpg

If you see them side by side the difference is obvious.

Greetz ;)

David

But if you line up some Marine gear, you see that hanger with the tilted ends next to ones that aren't, see pic below. I have heard on this forum that the USMC hangers are thinner wire also.

post-1414-1233768154.jpg

Greg Robinson

While it's true that the hangers with the unique bend at each end are Marine specific they didn't always use thoee. In fact, most of my USMC gear has the same cartridge belt hooks as the Army used.

If it looks like someone replaced the 1910 hook with a bent up piece of wire coat hanger, then it is a USMC hook.

That thought lead me to an experience that I'm pretty embarassed about. Years ago when I was a kid and was just started in collecting this stuff, a third pattern USMC canteen carrier fell into my lap( I didn't know that's what it was then ). It looked great, except that someone had replaced the hook with a bent up piece of wire coat hanger thumbdown.gif . Well I had an extra steel 1910 hook laying around that came off of a rotten old first aid pouch, so I had an idea think.gif I cut that coat hanger hook out of there and sewed in the "correct" steel 1910 hook faster than it took for me to hunt and peck this story. I've never told this story before, and I'm a better person for the experience and the telling. I still have that canteen carrier, and will have it forever.

Live and learn, I guess.