Opinion on Navy Commendation Medal

Daytonian777

Daytonian777

I have a question regarding this Navy Commendation Medal. Does this look to be a late 50's or early 60's production? The reason I ask is because the finish is not black-washed, and the lug on the top of the pendant isn't deformed like on a lot of later examples. Also, there is no manufactures mark on the brooch. Has anyone else seen the area for naming being a bit uneven? I've attached a couple of photos for your review. Thank you in advance for any answers!

NAVCOM1.jpg

NAVCOM2.jpg

I would say late 1960’s since it does not have the 1950’s 60’s lacquer finish

Bill

Daytonian777

@USMCR79Bill, thanks for the response! Did manufacturers lacquer most Commendation medals in the 50s & 60s? I always thought the lacquering (and black-washing) was only found on newer medals. Did some companies still have very good dies in the late 60s because some examples that I've encountered were worn out by the 1970s. An example of this is a Williams & Anderson NAVCOM that just popped up on eBay. In comparison to the NAVCOM that I originally posted, it looks terrible. That is the reason I was wondering if the one I own was an earlier example, just without the crimp/slot brooch combination. Thanks again! 😀

W&A Early 70s.jpg

W&A Early 70s III.jpg

MMcollector

This is 1970’s made. The maker mark (Williams & Anderson) & GI (Government Inspected) code on the back is the indicator of the age of this medal. The 1960‘s Naval Commendation was issued on a crimp/slot brooch. 

EC17AED6-109A-4D4E-B51B-CF2F7682795C.jpeg

Daytonian777

@MMcollectorThanks for the comment! Yes, I knew that the Williams & Anderson NAVCOM (which is not mine) is a 70s example. I just posted it as comparison to the medal that I own (the example in post 1) to show how the quality declined drastically for some companies in the 70s. This is why I originally wondered if the pendant (of the example in my collection) was produced in the 50s or 60s, just draped with a standard crimp brooch instead of the crimp/slot brooch combination found on the NAVCOM and ARCOMS of the 1950s. The detail and quality is what lead me to estimate that period.

Here are a couple of pics of one of the first types of Navy Commendation medals. This one was issued right around 1950, as the veteran had received a commendation during WW2. 

Screenshot_92.jpg

Screenshot_91.jpg

Daytonian777

@DaveThank you very much for sharing the photos of a confirmed early 1950's Navy Commendation medal. Upon comparison, both of our examples seem to be very similar. The ribbon colour is the same shade, and the finishing on the pendants look extremely similar. It seems to be just a difference in brooch type and possibly the lighting in which the photo was taken. Would you happen to know when manufacturers stopped using the slot/crimp brooch combination? Also, would you agree with Bill's assessment of late 60s, or do you think it is earlier? Thank you once again!