The USAAF B2 shearling cap

warguy

• 1 year later...

Hello all. Great information. I actually joined this community because of this thread. I am researching b2 caps and want to also assess the reproduction b2s available. Would those of you who own originals be open to providing me with measurements? Thanks in advance

Hello Old Rugger and welcome to the forum. Sadly my collection is in storage as I attempt to sell my house. Hopefully someone else will step in. Good luck, hope you enjoy it here. 

1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Off topic but does anyone know what happened to dmar ?

Peter, I was wondering the same thing.  Dave last posted in June of this year.  

2 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

Peter, I was wondering the same thing.  Dave last posted in June of this year.  

I always enjoyed his posts especially him being so knowledgeable. 

Old Rugger

Here is an interesting oddity. It's a modified Shaw Barton a fellow member of a FB group I'm in photographed at a show. Part of a grouping. Look what's added to ear flaps. I also have attached still captures from the 1944 US Army film 'Target for Today" that appears to show something similar.

PXL_20231113_034526785.jpg

PXL_20231113_034350853.jpg

FB_IMG_1704564471996.jpg

FB_IMG_1704564466874.jpg

FB_IMG_1704564659498.jpg

Old Rugger
On 12/31/2023 at 12:05 AM, warguy said:

Hello Old Rugger and welcome to the forum. Sadly my collection is in storage as I attempt to sell my house. Hopefully someone else will step in. Good luck, hope you enjoy it here. 

Thank you. Yes if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I want to see if I can have a custom b2 made, proper height/depth so it looks legit and not like a baseball cap as has been pointed out in this thread.

phantomfixer
On 1/6/2024 at 10:24 PM, Old Rugger said:

Thank you. Yes if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. I want to see if I can have a custom b2 made, proper height/depth so it looks legit and not like a baseball cap as has been pointed out in this thread.

I can dig out my redskin tonight…the problem with all the repros that I see is the crown… originals have a flat top and a high rear… the rear and top come together at almost a right angle , not slopped or arched…the snaps for O2 mask are cool… I’ve seen B-1s with the mask snaps.. nice mod

Old Rugger
On 1/10/2024 at 10:40 AM, phantomfixer said:

I can dig out my redskin tonight…the problem with all the repros that I see is the crown… originals have a flat top and a high rear… the rear and top come together at almost a right angle , not slopped or arched…the snaps for O2 mask are cool… I’ve seen B-1s with the mask snaps.. nice mod

Thanks  the cap has sterling Lieutenants bar on the front. you can see ho he pinned up the brim, so an officer or pilto that preferred this cap to others?

Also  I agree. the Eastman and Fivestar b2s seem to be the best repros, but no depth as you said, too shallow. SM Wholesale makes a Shaw Barton version that on their website is perfect, sans a label and no x stitches around base to hold ear flaps, the reality is the one I received from them looked like it was stitched in a hurry and no stress for details of the "lines" of the finished cap.  I looked like i had a klingon forehead and a Japanese Tabi toe boot on top. I was displeased, notified them with photos by email and their online form and still need to call as they never replied.

Looks like they had a lot of issue with these hats and customers. all would be good if it looked like their web image so they obviously did it right at least once :)  yes if you could measure from the base to crown at back and sides. Also low to high etc. that would be great. also note what size cap your original is. A few of us theorized the repros were copied off a 6 7/8 but they didn't size up their patterns correctly  to the other larger sizes  hence looking like a low rise ball cap.

thanks again

• 4 weeks later...
Old Rugger

Still looking to get measurements from originals. If you could share maker and size. I'd like to make myself one that doesn't look like a ball cap!

Old Rugger

Also interesting to see how the width of the actual earflaps change with various sizing, if at all