"First Run" M1913 Patton Saber

Spathologist

Casual reading of many reference works which discuss the M1913 Cavalry Saber will reveal a figure for the first year of production that is commonly quoted: 200 sabers. But this figure is only partially correct.

Springfield Armory counted production numbers by fiscal year, which ran 1 July to 30 June. The dating on the ricasso, however, was done by calendar year..1 January to 31 December.

So, while it is true that for Fiscal Year 1913 only 200 sabers were made, analysis of serial numbers shows that somewhere around 8,200 sabers were marked "1913" during the Calendar Year.

Nevertheless, many consider 1913-dated blades which carry serial numbers below 201 to be something like "first run" examples of the type and they are highly sought after by collectors.

n4cqc2.jpg

15qelmq.jpg

mw445z.jpg

ekgnr9.jpg

Sean,

An outstanding example of this early sabre. I can't quite see the tip of the scabbard. Does this one have the "tent pole" scabbard?

George

George;

Thanks! I'm very happy to finally have scored one. All I lack to complete the M1913 collection is a 1916-dated blade....

Don't know about the tip, it's not in my hands yet. From the little bit I can see in the pics, I'd say the cover color and the angle on the metal end indicates a scabbard made without the tip.

Sean

Hi

Great M-1913, you're definately a lucky guy! My Wife has Serial number 3768 which is also a 1913 SA date. Yeah I said my wife. It really pays to marry another collector. neat thing is that I bought the sword in 1986 and sold it in about 1989 and she bought it from the guy I sold it to in about 2002.

Hers has the same scabbard as yours shows in the photo. I suspect that the scabbards and swords were often seperated in service since so many of the early swords do not have the "tent pole" scabbards.

thanks for posting

T. Bowers

Thanks for your comments, and also for the serial number of your wife's saber. I keep a database of serial numbers to help date the blades.

If anyone else out there has a M1913, M1911 or M1905/06 saber, I'd very much appreciate getting the SN.

Sean you are the man when it comes to Patton Sabers. I have really enjoyed reading the post on them and have learned much the forum on these sabers. I'll have to be happy with my 1913 dated # 1689 until another SA comes along. It's interesting and appears that the number '1' was sturck with a seperate die and appears that the last three numbers were struck together. Good luck on finding the missing Patton's for your collection.

Chris

1689600x450.jpg

I'll have to be happy with my 1913 dated # 1689 until another SA comes along.

Which, IIRC, is a very nice example of the type and came with the scarce officer's scabbard.

It's interesting and appears that the number '1' was sturck with a seperate die and appears that the last three numbers were struck together.

That's how the "1"s are marked on these sabers; it's very distinctive and, if these sabers ever become popular enough to modify serial numbers on or fake, would probably be a good way to identify an original.