3 - Meyer Glider Pilot Wings.. Which one is a fake?

The Rooster

The Rooster

Greetings all.

I have been seeing so many fake Meyer wings that I thought it would be cool to post 3 Meyer

Glider Pilot wings that I found on ebay.

Which one is a faker ?

bdd.jpg.27b500b78a027cfb30b7a224411c4a8a.jpg

bfg.jpg.bac771bbb151fabd1d586032f6947128.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

The Rooster

The answer of course is that all three are fake / Restrikes.

In 2 of the wings above, the black Laquer substance...what ever it is,

has been removed. One by polishing and the other looks like by chemical means

as you can still see the imprint of where the laquer was.. Bottom wing.

And in all 3 they have the wrong pins.

Here is the backside of a real Meyer wing from WW2.

post-181333-0-17877200-1582061851_thumb.jpg.fa11bc9b5080a94eaeceacf0af1ec2a7.jpg

cwnorma

With so many new people coming into the hobby, posts like these are extremely valuable.

Thanks for the educational post!

dmar836

Thanks Dave.

I usually don't advocate studying fake items to learn to identify what's real BUT multiple comparative shots like this actually help one see the similarity in the fakes and not just the bewildering variations.

Love it,

Dave

The Rooster

No sweat gang. I hate to see anyone get burned on these fake Restrike Meyers.

Especially when there are still so many good genuine Meyer wing examples out there that are reasonably priced.

The sellers want hundreds of dollars for these fakes.

Beware !!!!

The Rooster

Here is a link to Bobs fantastic site, showing an

authentic Meyer Glider Pilot Wing.

Notice the frosted finish on the back and also the cam on the pin.

That cam prevents the pin from openng all the way.

Also notice the the backs of the real wing are flat.

Look toward the tips of the wing on the black laq wings and the one where its been removed.

There are no concave areas on the real ones, like you see on the restrikes.

Link on Bobs site

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/gliderpilot/meyeraafglider.shtml

pfrost
13 hours ago, dmar836 said:

Thanks Dave.

I usually don't advocate studying fake items to learn to identify what's real BUT multiple comparative shots like this actually help one see the similarity in the fakes and not just the bewildering variations.

Love it,

Dave

Just to quibble a bit, I actually would humbly suggest that one of the best ways to study wings is to really know and understand the fakes.  I still spend as much time looking at fakes as I do the good wings.  I see it as two sides of the same coin.  There are a LOT of threads on NS Meyers on this forum. 

dmar836

I get it. I think that's why this thread surprised me - too see the variations of similar restrikes. Wings might feel a bit different to me. Few such posts exist as most are wings posted by onesies and twosies. A thumbs up or down often only applies to one example and that's hard to collect into a memory file for many(me).

I've told the story before of my father's friend who was old FBI. He said when learning to ID counterfeit bills, you never studied the fakes - only originals. That way a fake always looked off.

Seeing new collectors here and elsewhere cast a broad net, take an expensive chance on what they have learned to exist in rarity, an only then ask here if a helmet, patch, wing, whatever is good, only to be told it's yet another fake, has me wondering if studying the ever increasing variations of fakes doesn't "ruin the nose". I started the "provenance only" painted M-1 helmet thread because of this and had very few posted known "real"examples before it broke down into a "my favorite painted lid" thread.

Also, the variations in a lot of rare militaria has been difficult to substantiate. Wings have a lot of confusing things but there is universal truth in that they weren't all individualistic.

I hope you all keep this up - helps immensely.

Dave 

dmar836

I should also have added I really respect the opinions you gentlemen offer.

Dave

bschwartz

One thing to note with the real Meyer wings in this pattern is that they can often be found with the Meyer hallmark printed in reverse.  So it reads REYEM on the shield.  You can see that here with this Liaison pilot wing on my site - Meyer Liaison Pilot  Also note the size of the font used for Sterling.  The reversed Meyer hallmark is authentic and a bit of a screw up on Meyer's part where the die was cut to read correctly which means it will stamp the wing in reverse.  This trips some people up and tricks them into thinking it's a fake.  Just another interesting aspect of collecting Meyer wings.  Patrick has a good explanation of this in another thread on the forum.

dmar836

I do remember the discussion of the small "sterling" font.

Can I ask, have any of you seen restrikes with either the reverse MEYER and/or the small "Sterling"?

bschwartz

I don't recall seeing a fake with the smaller sterling mark or the reversed hallmark but I never say never anymore when it comes to fakes.  It's a constant battle trying to keep up.

Keeping in mind the finish and flatness of the back of ww2 meyers

and keeping notice of the pin you should never get burned by a fake meyer. I learned about them exclusively on this forum by studying

all the many posts on here about Meyers and as a result Ive never picked up a meyer thats a stinker.

The backside of the good Meyer that I posted above has the logo reversed like Bob mentions.

But Im certain its a good one. In fact, the logo being reversed was one of the tells for me amoung others that it was a good wing.

I learned all about Meyers on here from you swell guys and Im a thanking you all.

Nothing like good info to set you on the right path !!!