WWII USN DAMAGE CONTROL M1 HELMET

Paddyd00

Hi Guys

I was in the mood to photograph some helmets! I never really wanted one of these Bright Red helmets before but after reading Neptune's Inferno by James D Hornfischer and how hard the US Navy fought against the Japanese, How hard they fought to save their ships and how they sacrificed so much for the Marines to have a better chance of holding Guadalcanal ... I picked this one up at the beginning of the year.  It was in a store display for many years before it was listed for sale.  What I liked about this one (though it most probably saw some long service after the war, poss repaint, etc) it has retained its original OD3 straps which I don't see very often.  It is a McCord Lot # 813B. At the time I paired it w a Seaman Paper Company liner that I had and it has stayed ever since. It has a huge ding on the back but IMO opinion a nice example. Thanks for looking and hope everyone is having a nice day of remembrance on this day.

Z

1A.jpg

2.jpg

2A.jpg

3.jpg

4A.jpg

5A.jpg

7.jpg

10A.jpg

10.jpg

a good lookin set there. repair 5 on my ship definitely always got the workout whenever there was a casualty, it was our main locker, midships

5 hours ago, shadawg said:

a good lookin set there. repair 5 on my ship definitely always got the workout whenever there was a casualty, it was our main locker, midships

Good info as always Dave. I guess it safe to assume this was on a bigger ship then? To facilitate 5 (at least) repair stations

Z

4 hours ago, Paddyd00 said:

Good info as always Dave. I guess it safe to assume this was on a bigger ship then? To facilitate 5 (at least) repair stations

Z

i would say a bigger ship not based on the number, but on the fact it is labelled aft, implying they had a fwd rep 5 as well. the numbering system is weird, but on my small frigate, 453' by 47 ' at the beam, our repair lockers were numbered 2, 5, and 3

looks like somethin hit em while checking out damage in the back there, great looking helmet

Looks like this bad boy held out into the 70s or 80's, RP 5 Aft is odd, stenciling is odd, not sure the liner chin strap would have survived that long and my biggest  thing on this helmet is that a Repair Party Helmet would always have the straps loose, always.

Looks like the red M1s we used on my ship in late 80s. Just the shell....our liners were filhty messes...nothing like this nice liner.

14 hours ago, topdcnut said:

Looks like this bad boy held out into the 70s or 80's, RP 5 Aft is odd, stenciling is odd, not sure the liner chin strap would have survived that long and my biggest  thing on this helmet is that a Repair Party Helmet would always have the straps loose, always.

Agree. But they are real and look like legit wear. Why I bought it. Don’t see that often. I agree def post war use  

Z