Neither Fish nor Fowl - Karl Ort catalog wing

cwnorma

Here is an interesting wing.

This particular wing was sold through the Karl Ort catalog.  It is die struck in sterling, with separately applied (and somewhat oversized) U and S.  The US is thinly gold plated.  This badge was offered by Ort as early as the 1930s--long before collectors came onto the scene.  So, it's not a "reproduction" or "fake" in the strictest sense.  But it is also not a true WW1 wing.  At best, it is collectible as pre-WW2 era aviation-related memorabilia.

The badge is 2.5" and is lightly content marked "STERLING" with no other hallmarks.

Ort.jpg.8ecaf2ab914be9d3c4fcda74fb0f06c5.jpg

Cheers!

Chris

rathbonemuseum.com

Since it was no longer regulation in the 1930s, did Ort offer as veteran wear? Sweetheart? General patriotic? Curious how it was marketed.

5thwingmarty

I have seen a couple of old Karl Ort sales brochures.  Although he offered some military-esque items like wings, pins and flight clothing, nothing I have seen indicates he was putting himself out as a military supplier.  He did also offer military surplus items at times, including surplus bomb casings in at least one brochure.  I have a 1937 brochure that includes a sterling 3" pilot wing that is offered as a "Cap Ornament" but it also states that it could serve "equally as well on the left breast of tunic or uniform coat."

It would be interesting to see exactly what he said when he offered the wing shared by Chris.